Posted to dev@juddi.apache.org by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> on 2019/06/15 20:57:37 UTC

Updating the demo site

Dear jUDDI enthusiasts,

We used to have a "gear" in the redhat cloud that hosted a demo instance of
juddi. I'm not too sure what happened but i think it either expired or
redhat turned them all off or whatever and migrated to something else.
Regardless, that instance has been dead for a while.

Moving forward, i've asked the ASF infra team if they have a solution. The
answer is yes, they can fire up a VM for this purpose. The only catch is
that they want to have at least 3 people be designated as maintainers of
the VM.

I'll certainly volunteer but i'll need 2 others to volunteer in order to
move forward. I would expect that time requirement by those volunteers
would be super minimal, every now and again type of thing. It'll be an
ubuntu vm.

Anyone out there want to help?

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <sp...@gmail.com>.
ok i got everything working with postgres. good to go, i think

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt T Stam <ks...@apache.org>.
Hi Alex,

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
File creation in /tmp/juddi-db works like a charm, not so much in /var/lib/tomcat9/juddi-db

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19146 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19146>

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Thanks I see it now!

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt Stam <ks...@redhat.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt Stam <ks...@redhat.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Steve Viens <sv...@gmail.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
Steve did it!

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com>.
I can take a look tomorrow

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Steve Viens <sv...@gmail.com>.
Awesome Alex.  I’ve been buried for past two weeks and just catching up
with personal email and saw yours.  I’ll take a look as soon as I can.

Steve

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 8:47 PM Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> wrote:

> good news, i got the demo set up and running....
>
> https://demo.juddi.apache.org/
> some important paths
> /var/log/tomcat9
> /var/lib/tomcat9/webapps
> /etc/tomcat9
>
> the original tomcat root app was moved to /opt in case we need it in the
> future.....
> ssl cert is via lets encrypt, good until oct 25th
>
> the hard part was getting derby to fire up. it ended up at
> /etc/tomcat9/Catalina/...
> all other locations had file permissions issues (or maybe a security
> manager?)
>
> finally the site also runs on port 80 if needed, but tls should be used
> when possible.
>
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Steve, Kurt
>>
>> Please confirm that you can sign into (via ssh) demo.juddi.apache.org
>> use your asf credentials. You'll also want to test sudoing. ASF infra
>> uses something all opie for open time passwords for sudo.
>> Details here:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-18617?focusedCommentId=16893249&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16893249
>>
>> Anyhow, try to sign in and run
>> ortpasswd
>> use the linked website to create the one time password and paste it in
>> then run
>> sudo apt update
>> it should prompt for a open time password, again, repeat the process
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 5:33 PM Steve Viens <sv...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I’ll volunteer!  Sign me up.
>>>
>>> Steve

>>> Steve Viens
>>> sviens@gmail.com
>>> 603-828-2397
>>>
>> --
Steve Viens
sviens@gmail.com
603-828-2397

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org>.
Steve, Kurt

Re: Updating the demo site

Posted by Steve Viens <sv...@gmail.com>.
I’ll volunteer!  Sign me up.

Steve

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 5:26 PM Alex O'Ree <sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Kurt!
>
> Just need one more person to act as a backup
>
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 10:30 AM Kurt Stam <ku...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> I can help.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> —Kurt
>>
>> > On Jun 15, 2019, at 4:57 PM, Alex O'Ree <al...@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Dear jUDDI enthusiasts,
>> >
>> > We used to have a "gear" in the redhat cloud that hosted a demo
>> instance of juddi. I'm not too sure what happened but i think it either
>> expired or redhat turned them all off or whatever and migrated to something
>> else. Regardless, that instance has been dead for a while.
>> >
>> > Moving forward, i've asked the ASF infra team if they have a solution.
>> The answer is yes, they can fire up a VM for this purpose. The only catch
>> is that they want to have at least 3 people be designated as maintainers of
>> the VM.
>> >
>> > I'll certainly volunteer but i'll need 2 others to volunteer in order
>> to move forward. I would expect that time requirement by those volunteers
>> would be super minimal, every now and again type of thing. It'll be an
>> ubuntu vm.
>> >
>> > Anyone out there want to help?
>>
>> --
Steve Viens