Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by debu --- Debajit kataki <de...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/02 12:30:02 UTC

.htaccess commit issue

Hello Friends,

I have an Apache-SVN server and  what i have noticed that any folder with
.htaccess file or even ^.ht wont get committed in SVN.

I understand that this is an expected security behavior by apache, but what
I am looking here a proven workaround, so that my users can commit those
folder also which has such file in it.

Below is my current config:

<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin debajit_kataki@gmail.com
    ServerName svn1.deb.com
    ServerAlias www.svn1.deb.com
    DocumentRoot "/var/www/svn/repos"
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    Satisfy All
</Files>
<Location /repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath "/var/www/svn/repos"
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Authorization Realm"
        AuthUserFile /var/www/svn/.htpasswd
        AuthzSVNAccessFile /etc/svn-acl-conf    *( this is just a user/acl
file and I have given r/w access as of now, so ignore)
        Require valid-user
    </Location>

<Directory "/var/www/svn">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

    ErrorLog "logs/svn1.deb.com-error_log"
    CustomLog "logs/svn1.deb.com-access_log" combined
</VirtualHost>

Any helps /advice are highly appreciated..

Thanks/-

Re: .htaccess commit issue

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 10, 2011, at 20:43, debu --- Debajit kataki wrote:

> This is an issue only while I try to commit via any GUI client/rep browser. Currently I am using Tortoise and I could reproduce it there. Some people also saw it in Eclipse which I am yet to reproduce.
>
> Via command line I have no issue at all to commit  any ^.ht files.
>
> So i guess apache definitely is NOT the culprit here!!?
>
> I see some thread around this as well on the google:
>
> http://languor.us/eclipse-subversion-ra-layer-request-failed-could-not-read-status-line-errors
>
> Or is it  more of a compatibility issue ?
>
> I am using  Apache/2.2.15 (Unix), subversion-1.1.4-2, tortoise 1.6.0

I can't explain what you're seeing above, but please confirm -- are you really using Subversion 1.1.4 on the server? Versions earlier than 1.5 are not supported anymore, and you should upgrade to the current version, which is 1.6.15.

Re: .htaccess commit issue

Posted by debu --- Debajit kataki <de...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ryan for your reply.

Sorry I was NOT clear and let me elaborate it further.

This is an issue only while I try to commit via any GUI client/rep browser.
Currently I am using Tortoise and I could reproduce it there. Some people
also saw it in Eclipse which I am yet to reproduce.

Via command line I have no issue at all to commit  any ^.ht files.

So i guess apache definitely is NOT the culprit here!!?

I see some thread around this as well on the google:

http://languor.us/eclipse-subversion-ra-layer-request-failed-could-not-read-status-line-errors

Or is it  more of a compatibility issue ?

I am using  Apache/2.2.15 (Unix), subversion-1.1.4-2, tortoise 1.6.0

Thanks/-

Re: .htaccess commit issue

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 2, 2011, at 05:30, debu --- Debajit kataki wrote:

> I have an Apache-SVN server and  what i have noticed that any folder with .htaccess file or even ^.ht wont get committed in SVN.
>
> I understand that this is an expected security behavior by apache, but what I am looking here a proven workaround, so that my users can commit those  folder also which has such file in it.
>
> Below is my current config:

[snip]