Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/10 12:48:32 UTC

rename uimaj-ep-runtime ?

Hi all,
following the UIMA and OSGI thread, do you think we can rename
uimaj-ep-runtime as uimaj-osgi-untime ?
I'm for a +1.
I think it would be much clearer than binding it to Eclipse name but it's
just my opinion.
So what do you think?
Cheers,
Tommaso

p.s.:
the version in the parent is 2.3.0.incubating instead 2.3.0-incubating,
maybe we'd better change it to make it consistent with the other projects'
version

Re: rename uimaj-ep-runtime ?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> Tommaso Teofili wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> following the UIMA and OSGI thread, do you think we can rename
>> uimaj-ep-runtime as uimaj-osgi-untime ?
>>

> Any issues with backwards compatibility?  (I think we should try to
> minimize renames that would require actions by our users.)

This change would break the builds of users who use
maven to build their eclipse plugins depending
on the runtime plugin.

Jörn

Re: rename uimaj-ep-runtime ?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Tommaso Teofili wrote:
> Hi all,
> following the UIMA and OSGI thread, do you think we can rename
> uimaj-ep-runtime as uimaj-osgi-untime ?

Any issues with backwards compatibility?  (I think we should try to
minimize renames that would require actions by our users.)

-Marshall
> I'm for a +1.
> I think it would be much clearer than binding it to Eclipse name but it's
> just my opinion.
> So what do you think?
> Cheers,
> Tommaso
>
> p.s.:
> the version in the parent is 2.3.0.incubating instead 2.3.0-incubating,
> maybe we'd better change it to make it consistent with the other projects'
> version

The dash I think violates OSGi naming conventions.  See
http://markmail.org/thread/57yzgah4l62if5mo  I think that at one point
in time (maybe now, too), Eclipse did not handle the dash - so all of
our Eclipse plugins use the dot instead, following Eclipse conventions.

At any rate, the -incubating will go away once we graduate...

-Marshall