Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/05/11 09:26:58 UTC

[RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Hi,

first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as
well if our community think it's a good idea.

Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following
time schedule and content for a 3.4.1.

Content
=======
- we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we
should focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and
completeness. Right now we have Finnish and British English with an
updated 100% UI translation. We can also think about language packs only.

- we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list
and the issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag,
concrete the "?" value.

- we will include potential security fixes

Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the
trunk and will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6,
4.0, ...). The micro release should include minimal functional changes
only.

Time schedule
=============

- starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots

- June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included

- July 25, providing RC and start voting

- July 31, planned release

QA should we continuously do on the dev builds.

Opinions, comments are welcome and appreciated.

Juergen

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/11/2012 09:26 AM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as
> well if our community think it's a good idea.
>
> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following
> time schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>
> Content
> =======
> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we
> should focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and
> completeness. Right now we have Finnish and British English with an
> updated 100% UI translation. We can also think about language packs only.
>
> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list
> and the issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag,
> concrete the "?" value.
>
> - we will include potential security fixes
>

> Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the
> trunk and will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6,
> 4.0, ...). The micro release should include minimal functional changes
> only.
>

> Time schedule
> =============
>
> - starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots
>
> - June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included
>
> - July 25, providing RC and start voting
>
> - July 31, planned release
>
> QA should we continuously do on the dev builds.

Let's try to walk along this line.

Marcus

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Serg Bormant <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2012/5/12 Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>:

> Perfect and the Russian version is already available ;-) if you have made updates, create an issue as described.

Well. One note here. Russian SDF needs update from Pootle.

I can see translations in Pootle that doesn't included in 3.4 release
(rev.1327774), for ex.:
https://translate.apache.org/ru/OOo_34/translate.html?unit=5926393
https://translate.apache.org/ru/OOo_34/translate.html?unit=5926394

in this dialog window:
en: Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages
ru: Сервис -> Параметры -> Настройки языка -> Языки

--
wbr, sb

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Juergen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On Saturday, 12. May 2012 at 09:35, Serg Bormant wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/5/11 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>:
>
> > Content
> > =======
> > - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
> > translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we should
> > focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and completeness.
> > Right now we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI
> > translation. We can also think about language packs only.
> >

> Are you mean 100% UI coverage including VCL Test Tool?
Forget the VCL test tool.

Posted by Serg Bormant <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/11/12 11:20 AM, Yue Helen wrote:
> +1. Thanks for bring it out...it looks like a good plan! I agree that the
> focus of 3.4.1 is translation and critical bug fix only...And we should
> have separate discussion on 3.5 development.
>
> My only comment is that, it could be too aggressive to leave only one week
> for both RC voting and publish...maybe two weeks are better?

maybe but I thought that we will do the main work before on the dev
builds and voting takes normally 72 hours. But you are probably correct
when we take into account that we need PPMC and IPMC vote.
We can adapt it on demand and can start the RC 3 days earlier.

Juergen

Posted by Yue Helen <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 11.05.2012 09:46, Joost Andrae wrote:
> Hi Jürgen,
>

>> Time schedule
>> =============
>>
>> - starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots
>>

> So if I understand it correctly then feature and UI freeze date has to be
> defined some weeks before June 30th to allow translators to deliver their
> translations on time?

I do not expect any feature and/or UI change for such a release, except
correction of misspelled UI strings or the replacement of inappropriate UI strings.

>> - June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included
>
> QA decides on RC readiness before July 25th?

 From my point of view the complete community will decide, if it will make sense
to create a RC.

>> - July 25, providing RC and start voting
>>
>> - July 31, planned release
>
> You mean less than one week to decide on the release status for the first RC ?
>
> ...just some thoughts...

Come on. We mainly want to include further languages. Thus, from my perspective
the proposed time schedule is ok.
If we figure out certain serious things we are flexible enough to shift the dates.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Shenfeng Liu <li...@gmail.com>.
+1 agree to the plan.

在 2012-5-11,16:14,Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> 写道:

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Jürgen,

> Time schedule
> =============
>
> - starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots

So if I understand it correctly then feature and UI freeze date has to
be defined some weeks before June 30th to allow translators to deliver
their translations on time?

> - June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included

QA decides on RC readiness before July 25th?

> - July 25, providing RC and start voting
>
> - July 31, planned release

You mean less than one week to decide on the release status for the
first RC ?

...just some thoughts...

Kind regards, Joost

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 11.05.2012 09:26, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as well if
> our community think it's a good idea.
>
> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following time
> schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>
> Content
> =======
> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we should focus
> and balance the support of new languages on demand and completeness. Right now
> we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI translation. We can
> also think about language packs only.
>
> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list and the
> issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag, concrete the "?"
> value.
>
> - we will include potential security fixes
>

> Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the trunk and
> will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6, 4.0, ...). The micro
> release should include minimal functional changes only.

+1 regarding content.

> Time schedule
> =============
>
> - starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots
>
> - June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included
>
> - July 25, providing RC and start voting
>
> - July 31, planned release
>
> QA should we continuously do on the dev builds.
>

> Opinions, comments are welcome and appreciated.

+1 regarding the dates.

May be we can start earlier with the snapshots depending on how much critical
bug fixes are made and how much languages are ready earlier.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 05/11/2012 12:26 AM, � wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as
> well if our community think it's a good idea.
>
> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following
> time schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>
> Content
> =======
> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we
> should focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and
> completeness. Right now we have Finnish and British English with an
> updated 100% UI translation. We can also think about language packs only.
>
> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list
> and the issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag,
> concrete the "?" value.
>
> - we will include potential security fixes
>

> Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the
> trunk and will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6,
> 4.0, ...). The micro release should include minimal functional changes
> only.
>

> Time schedule
> =============
>
> - starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots
>
> - June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included
>
> - July 25, providing RC and start voting
>
> - July 31, planned release
>
> QA should we continuously do on the dev builds.
>

> Opinions, comments are welcome and appreciated.
>
> Juergen

Thanks for volunteering for this and the plan looks good!

+1

MzK

  Helping you out."
                             -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 11, 2012, at 5:46 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jo...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as well
>> if our community think it's a good idea.
>>

> Thanks for volunteering.
>
>> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following
>> time schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>>
>> Content
>> =======
>> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
>> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we should
>> focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and completeness.
>> Right now we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI
>> translation. We can also think about language packs only.
>>

> We heard from volunteers on the list for Norwegian and Hebrew
> recently.  There should be enough time for time to complete their
> translations, if they wish to be included.
>
>> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
>> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list and
>> the issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag, concrete
>> the "?" value.
>>
>> - we will include potential security fixes
>>

> So we consider the branch to be frozen and only included new
> translations and fixes to "release blocker bugs" and necessary
> security patches (which are like release blocker bugs, but are not
> discussed on the public list or in Bugzilla).
>
> I assume the thing we found during the 3.4 RC vote can be included as
> well, such as the DISCLAIMER files?  (Or maybe we will graduate before
> July 31st?   Something to think about...)

Also cleanup of NOTICE and LICENSE to both fix eol issues and improve the flow.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kayo Hamid <kh...@gmail.com>.
On 21-05-2012 21:37, Albino Biasutti Neto wrote:
> Hi.
>
> The next version like 3.4.1, 3.4.x and more. Could be for security and
> small changes (ex.: localization ...).
And i believe it can be with QA focus to improving user experience.
Need improve QA to grow the users.

> Version like 3.7 ... 4.0, 4.3 etc, more drastic changes (ex.: interface,
> bottons ...).
>
> My two cents.
>
> Albino

My two cents too.

Thanks,
Kayo Hamid.

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 11/05/2012 Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
>> Right now we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI
>> translation. We can also think about language packs only.
> We heard from volunteers on the list for Norwegian and Hebrew
> recently.  There should be enough time for time to complete their
> translations, if they wish to be included.

And if I recally correctly Michael Bauer was volunteering for gd (Scots
Gaelic) too; CCing him so that he can join in time for 3.4.1 (proposed
deadline: June 30) too, if he wishes.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [RELEASE][AOO3.4.1] proposed time schedule and included content

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/11/12 2:46 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 3:26 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
> <jo...@googlemail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as well
>> if our community think it's a good idea.
>>

> Thanks for volunteering.
>
>> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following
>> time schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>>
>> Content
>> =======
>> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
>> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we should
>> focus and balance the support of new languages on demand and completeness.
>> Right now we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI
>> translation. We can also think about language packs only.
>>

> We heard from volunteers on the list for Norwegian and Hebrew
> recently.  There should be enough time for time to complete their
> translations, if they wish to be included.

sure when we have updates we can include them. Everything on demand and
based on requests/communicaiton.

>> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
>> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list and
>> the issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag, concrete
>> the "?" value.
>>
>> - we will include potential security fixes
>>

> So we consider the branch to be frozen and only included new
> translations and fixes to "release blocker bugs" and necessary
> security patches (which are like release blocker bugs, but are not
> discussed on the public list or in Bugzilla).
>
> I assume the thing we found during the 3.4 RC vote can be included as
> well, such as the DISCLAIMER files?  (Or maybe we will graduate before
> July 31st?   Something to think about...)

yes, I think so. We should create Issues for these things as well,
discuss on ooo-dev and put it on the wiki
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Feature+Planning

>> Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the trunk
>> and will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6, 4.0, ...).
>> The micro release should include minimal functional changes only.
>>

> Should we agree on a merge strategy?  Check into branch and merge into
> trunk, for example?

I do it exactly this way but when somebody prefers to create a patch,
apply it on trunk  and test it there it would be also fine. Keeping in
mind that we have build bots for trunk that can detect potential build
problems early.

Juergen

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/11/12 11:16 AM, Xia Zhao wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
>
> I give +1 for contents you proposed.
>
> One thing I care more about is the key bug fixes. We need define what kind
> of defects are critical defects for maintenance release-- I think 3.4.1 is
> one maintenance here. Regression, High severity, Usability? With the
> schedule you proposed, I only suggest include high severity and regression
> ones. The focus should be more languages version and security fixes.

exactly, I agree and we should discuss all issue on ooo-dev to build a
common understanding for this kind of problems.

Juergen

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi Juergen,

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

some more comments - sorry.

On 11.05.2012 09:26, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> first of all I am volunteering to act as release manager for 3.4.1 as well if
> our community think it's a good idea.
>
> Independent of the release manager I would like to propose the following time
> schedule and content for a 3.4.1.
>
> Content
> =======
> - we will support further languages where we have volunteers working on
> translation and where we have ideally 100% UI coverage. I think we should focus
> and balance the support of new languages on demand and completeness. Right now
> we have Finnish and British English with an updated 100% UI translation. We can
> also think about language packs only.
>
> - we will include important and critical bug fixes or necessary changes.
> Bugs/tasks have to be proposed and discussed on the ooo-dev mailing list and the
> issue should be marked with the "3.4.1_release_blocker" flag, concrete the "?"
> value.
>
> - we will include potential security fixes
>

> Feature development and less important bugfixes should happen on the trunk and
> will be included in the next major/minor release (3.5, 3.6, 4.0, ...). The micro
> release should include minimal functional changes only.
>

> Time schedule
> =============
>
> - starting first week of June weekly developer snapshots
>
> - June 30, potential translation have to be ready to get included
>
> - July 25, providing RC and start voting
>
> - July 31, planned release
>
> QA should we continuously do on the dev builds.
>

> Opinions, comments are welcome and appreciated.

As we have seen how much work it is and how much time is cost to prepare an RC
and a release, it is good that we thought about our next release as early as
possible. Quoting Sepp Herberger (former German national soccer coach): "After
the game is before the game."

In this sense I encourage everybody to think about 3.4.1 and if possible start
working on it.

Thx in advance.

Best regards, Oliver.