Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be> on 2006/04/20 18:28:55 UTC

Announcement: FOP 0.92beta released

Hi all,

The FOP team is very proud to present the third release off the
trunk: FOP 0.92beta.

It can be downloaded at:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/download.html

FOP 0.92 contains a considerable amount of improvements, bugfixes and
new features in comparison with last December's 0.91 release, so
you're all probably wondering: Why *still* consider it a beta release?

The main reason for this is a fundamental modification in the API,
which was motivated by the fact that a lot of resources could be
reused for multiple rendering runs. It has, of course, all been
rigorously tested, but still we'd very much appreciate any feedback,
especially if one of you feels there is room for improvement, be it
in the area of performance or user-friendliness. Every one of your
comments will be carefully weighed and taken into consideration.

Due to this change, we urge you to check out the following page
before starting to work with the new release: http://
xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.92/embedding.html

If all proceeds as planned, the next release will --finally, after
some 3 years-- lose the beta-tag, since a lot of feedback and our own
experiences now tell us this piece of software is ready for
production environments.

OTOH, if you take a look at the release notes at http://
xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/relnotes.html, you will still see a lot of
open/known issues, so...

As always, code-heads are encouraged to download the sources, and
start tinkering with it. Your ideas, good or bad, will be very very
welcome. If you have a lot of free time and feel like joining us, all
the  better! ;)

See you all soon on fop-users and/or fop-dev --hopefully :)

May you all enjoy this release even more than the last one!

Cheers,

Andreas Delmelle (for the Apache XML FOP development team)

Re: Announcement: FOP 0.92beta released

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks for the feedback. Incidentally, I've had another e-mail asking me
when SVG support will be restored. D'oh. I've already fixed it. The
website will be updated in a few minutes.

On 20.04.2006 18:49:24 Max Berger wrote:
> Dear Andreas,
>
> I know it is always a bad idea to blab after the release, but I just
> read the releae notes, and it says:
>
> PCL, MIF and SVG support have not been restored, yet.
>
> This is ambiguous. Could it be rephrased to:
>
> PCL, MIF and SVG output support have not been restored, yet.
> or
> PCL, MIF and SVG target support have not been restored, yet.
>
> Rationale:
> Using SVG images from within FOs works just fine. But when I just read
> the above line, I think that fop does not have any SVG support at all.
>
> Max
>

> Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The FOP team is very proud to present the third release off the  trunk:
> > FOP 0.92beta.
> > [...]
> > OTOH, if you take a look at the release notes at http://
> > xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/relnotes.html, you will still see a lot of
> > open/known issues, so...
> > [...]
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Andreas Delmelle (for the Apache XML FOP development team)

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Announcement: FOP 0.92beta released

Posted by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name>.

indefinite page height

Posted by Walter Bauer <wb...@coware.de>.
After all, I've now a working version including before and after
regions for 0.92beta.

Changes are minimal:

Return Integer.MAX_VALUE  in EnumLength.getValue:

     public int getValue() {
         if (enumProperty.getEnum() == Constants.EN_INDEFINITE)
             return Integer.MAX_VALUE;
         log.error("getValue() called on " + enumProperty + " length");
         return 0;
     }

  Insert at the beginning of PageSequenceLayoutManager.finishPage()
adding appropriate missing imports (e.g. let Eclipse do it):

         if (curPage.getSimplePageMaster().getPageHeight().getEnum()
== Constants.EN_INDEFINITE) {

             // start with current y position
             BodyRegion br = curPage.getPageViewport().getBodyRegion();
             float height = (float) br.getRegionViewport().getViewArea
().getY();

             // add actual height of body region
             List spanList = br.getMainReference().getSpans();
             if (spanList != null) {
                 ListIterator spanListIter = spanList.listIterator();
                 while (spanListIter.hasNext()) {
                         Span span = (Span) spanListIter.next();
                         height += span.getHeight();
                 }
             }
             height += br.getBorderAndPaddingWidthAfter() +
br.getSpaceAfter();

             // honor and reposition after region
             RegionReference after = curPage.getPageViewport
().getRegionReference(FO_REGION_AFTER);
             if (after != null) {
                 Rectangle2D afterRect = after.getRegionViewport
().getViewArea();
                 after.setCTM(after.getCTM().translate(0, height -
afterRect.getY()));
                 height += afterRect.getHeight();
             }

             // update page viewport size
             Rectangle2D rect = curPage.getPageViewport().getViewArea();
             rect.setRect(rect.getX(), rect.getY(), rect.getWidth(),
height);
         }

I haven't thought about reference orientation issues yet, but maybe
useful to somebody already.

Regards,
Walter Bauer