Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> on 2014/10/03 16:21:15 UTC

Hackathon Stockholm - Agenda and Topics

Hello everyone!

For the hackathon Stockholm next week (at KTH / SICS, Oct 8th - 9th), here
is a suggestion for a rough agenda and a list of topics to work upon or
look into. Suggestions and more topics are welcome.

Wednesday (8th)
--------------------------

9:00 - 10:00  Introduction to Apache Flink, System overview, and Dev
environment (by Stephan)

10:15 - 11:00 Introduction to the topics (Streaming API and system by Gyula
& Marton), (Graphs by Vasia / Martin / Stephan)

11:00 - 12:30 Happy hacking (part 1)

12:30 - Lunch (Food will be provided by KTH / SICS. A big thank you to them
and also to Paris, for organizing that)

13:xx - Happy hacking (part 2)

6:00 pm - Hadoop User Group Meetup @ Spotify , for those who are
interested. (http://www.meetup.com/stockholm-hug/events/207323222/)

Thursday (9th)
--------------------------

Happy hacking (continued)

Ideas for topics
-----------------------------

Streaming:

  - Sample streaming applications (e.g. continuous heavy hitters and topics
on the twitter stream)

  - Implement a simple SQL to Streaming program parser. Possibly using
Apache Calcite (http://optiq.incubator.apache.org/)

  - Implement different windowing methods (count-based, time-based, ...)

  - Implement different windowed operations (windowed-stream-join,
windowed-stream-co-group)

  - Streaming state, and interaction with other programs (that access state
of a stream program)

Graph Analysis
----------------------------

  - Prototype a Graph DSL (simple graph building, filters, graph
properties, some algorithms)

  - Prototype abstractions different Graph processing paradigms
(vertex-centric, partition-centric).

  - Generalize the delta iterations, allow flexible state access.

Feel free to comment!

Greetings,
Stephan

Re: Hackathon Stockholm - Agenda and Topics

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
That would be great :) Thanks!

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
Great, thanks Paris!

Posted by Paris Carbone <pa...@kth.se>.

Posted by Paris Carbone <pa...@kth.se>.

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
​Hey,

I know that for Wednesday we have booked the room "Knuth" at SICS
<https://www.sics.se/contact/sics-stockholm>.​
For Thursday, Paris has booked a room at KTH, which is in the same
building, but I don't know which one exactly!

-V.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Vasiliki Kalavri <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi,