Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2004/04/01 06:24:29 UTC

[math] CubicSplineFunction -> PolynomialSplineFunction

I have (I think) fixed the SplineInterpolator by changing the
implementation to follow Burden & Faires.  I would like to make the
following change, using the improved PolynomialFunction setup:

Replace CubicSplineFunction with PolynomialSplineFunction, which takes a
partition and an array of PolynomialFunctions as arguments to its
constructor. Have this implement the new
DifferentiableUnivariateRealFunction interface, also specializing to
implement polynomialSplineDerivative().

Part of the motivation for doing this is to clean up the
SplineInterpolator.interpolate() method.  I would prefer to have this
method create PolynomialFunctions and use these to construct the output
spline function rather than creating a multidimensional coefficients array.

Once the piecewise polynomials are encapsulated, the implementation of
CubicSplineFunction extends quite easily to become
PolynomialSplineFunction.  I see no reason not to do this.

Any objections?

Phil