Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Bentley, Tim" <TI...@ca.com> on 2001/02/09 06:58:51 UTC

New LDAP taglib version

Jeff -

I got lucky and found some time today :-)

I've attached what I've done so far with ldap.xsl, but I wanted to canvas a
couple of issues (and also test some more) before submitting it properly:

1.  I've added an 'xmlns' attribute containing the DSML uri to the top level
dsml element.  Is this the correct way to handle this?

2.  I've put all the elements into the dsml namespace - so they all follow
the <dsml:dsml>, <dlsml:entry> pattern.  As above - plus, this means that
any style sheets, etc. which process a page with dsml ldap results need to
reference the dsml namespace.

3.  I haven't been able to properly test the base64 stuff.  Binary values in
DSML require an encoding attribute to be added to the value node (e.g.
<dsml:attr name="cacertificate"><dsml:value
encoding="base64">binarydata</dsml:value>..etc).  I've added some code to
try and do this, but when I test against a directory with binary data the
taglib code is treating it as 'normal' data.  Have I misunderstood how the
test for this works?

4.  I have used a 'parameter' called <ldap:result-format> as the switch.
This seemed easy and reasonably consistent with the rest of the taglib, but
I'm open to criticisms/alternate suggestions :-)

Anyone who wants to test this should feel free - usual caveats and
disclaimers apply.  The idea is that this taglib should behave exactly as
the current 'release' version of the ldap.xsl taglib does currently, however
if an <ldap:result-format> tag containing the value 'dsml' (i.e.
<ldap:result-format>dsml</ldap:result-format> exists as a child of the
<ldap:execute-query> element, the taglib should ignore the contents of
<ldap:doc-element> and <ldap:entry-element> and return the results formatted
according to the DSML spec (available at http://www.dsml.org/).

I won't be email-enabled again 'till Monday morning local time (GMT+1000),
but I'll certainly catch up with any comments then.

Regards,

Tim Bentley
Computer Associates
Senior Software Engineer, eTrust Directory Development Lab.
tel: +61 3 9727-8930
fax: +61 3 9727 3491
mailto:tim.bentley@cai.com