Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com> on 2002/04/05 23:12:29 UTC

problem with cvs task

I am having a problem using the cvs task on a windows2000 machine. I am
simply trying to check out code. Here is a snippet from my ant file

 <target name = "checkOutForBuild">
 <mkdir dir="${build.dist}/src" />
 <cvs cvsRoot="${build.cvsRoot}"
       package="${build.cvsModule}"
       dest="${build.dist}/src}" />
 </target>

The error I get is:
C:\javaDev\projects\antFiles\prod.xml:28: java.io.IOException:
CreateProcess: cvs -d c:/cvs checkout com error=267
        at org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Cvs.execute(Cvs.java:221)

 It seems that there is a problem with the "exec" call. I know this is more
a java/OS problem than an ant problem but has anyone else seen this? Any
idea what error=267 refers to? My cvs repository is on a windows machine and
maybe this happens because cvs for windows is not stable? Any ideas would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks
Salma Saad
Cascabel Incorporated

Phone:   773.235.1567
Web:     http://www.ecascabel.com
Address: 2007 N Oakley Chicago IL, 60647

Re: problem with cvs task

Posted by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com>.
Thanks for the help. Yes cvs is in my path. As for the cvs root I am a bit
confused. I am not using pserver(I do plan on this eventually but for now I
am trying to get things to work on a single machine). I am running ant on
the same windows 2000 machine as my cvs repository and my cvs repository is
in c:/cvs .I should be able to use both
hostName:c/cvs
 or simply
c:/cvs
as cvsRoot and it should work. I am not an expert at cvs installation and I
did install this myself so maybe I do need to configure cvs?
commands such as:
cvs co moduleName
and
cvs update -A
work just fine but the following command
cvs -d hostName:c/cvs checkout com doesn't work. It complains about rsh not
being able to establish a connection but cvs -d c:/cvs checkout com works
just fine manually. I think that the fact that it cannot connect to the host
should not bother the ant cvs process especially if I set the cvsRoot to
c:/cvs?

Re: problem with cvs task

Posted by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com>.
By directory do you mean the cvs module I am checking out or the cvs root
directory? I am assuming error=267 is a windows error and so that means the
cvsRoot?

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

RE: problem with cvs task

Posted by Frederic Lavigne <fr...@castify.net>.

Re: problem with cvs task

Posted by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com>.
Thanks. I did the following . I defined a new property in my build file
<property name="testCvsRoot" location="C:/cvs" />
and I also tried
<property name="testCvsRoot" location="C:\cvs" />
and
<property name="testCvsRoot" location="c:/cvs" />

and changed my target to
 <target name = "checkOutForBuild">
 <mkdir dir="${build.dist}/src" />
 <cvs cvsRoot="${testCvsRoot}"
       package="${build.cvsModule}"
       dest="${build.dist}/src}" />

and ran ant in verbose mode but I still got the same error all three times.

Posted by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com>.
It's certainly cvs for NT. I have done -version from the DOS command line ,
from CYGWIN and from ant and its the same cvs. Also using local:c:/cvs as
cvsRoot didn't help. I also tried leaving out cvs root and no success. I
know cvs for NT isn't exactly the best cvs version so I will try moving my
repository over to the CYGWIN cvs and see what happens. I will post the
results after I have had a chance to do this, probably on monday. Thanks for
the help, I do appreciate it.

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: problem with cvs task

Posted by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com>.
I tried the cygdrive suggestion but nothing changed. I am using cvs for NT
which I installed myself and I know thats where the path is pointing too
though windows sometimes behaves in strange ways and perhaps it defaults to
the cygwin cvs somehow? . I also then tried running ant from the DOS prompt
again with testCVsRoot set to both Windows and UNIX syntax and same error.

Re: problem with cvs task

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.

Re: problem with cvs task

Posted by Salma Saad <ss...@ecascabel.com>.
The c:/cvs is because I am using CYGWIN to run ant so I can use everything
UNIX on my windows box. I think the / is okay because its fine for all the
hundreds of other properties I am setting in my ant scripts. I simply read
the cvsRoot value from a properties file for example my properties file
contains
build.cvsRoot = c:/cvs
build.cvsModule = com
and then I use the values in the cvs task for the dest and package
attributes so I don't use either the location or value attributes of
Property at all (see below). Thanks for your help, it does really help
narrowing the problem to cvsRoot.

 <target name = "checkOutForBuild" unless="build.src.present">
 <mkdir dir="${build.dist}/src" />
 <cvs cvsRoot="${build.cvsRoot}"
       package="${build.cvsModule}"
       dest="${build.dist}/src}" />----- Original Message -----