Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by John Roesler <jo...@vvcephei.org> on 2021/04/14 20:04:38 UTC

[VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka
2.8.0.This is a major release that includes many new
features, including:

 * Early-access release of replacing Zookeeper with a
   self-managed quorum
 * Add Describe Cluster API
 * Support mutual TLS authentication on SASL_SSL listeners
 * Ergonomic improvements to Streams TopologyTestDriver
 * Logger API improvement to respect the hierarchy
 * Request/response trace logs are now JSON-formatted
 * New API to add and remove Streams threads while running
 * New REST API to expose Connect task configurations
 * Fixed the TimeWindowDeserializer to be able to
   deserialize
   keys outside of Streams (such as in the console consumer)
 * Streams resilient improvement: new uncaught exception
   handler
 * Streams resilience improvement: automatically recover
   from transient timeout exceptions

Release notes for the 2.8.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~vvcephei/kafka-2.8.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by 19 April 2021 ***

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the
release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~vvcephei/kafka-2.8.0-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~vvcephei/kafka-2.8.0-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.8 branch) is the 2.8.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/2.8.0-rc2

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/28/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/28/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.8 branch:
Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/2.8/
(still flaky)

System tests:

https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/2.8/6
0/

http://confluent-kafka-2-8-system-test-results.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/2021-04-14--001.1618407001--confluentinc--2.8--1b61272d45/report.html

/**************************************

Thanks,
John

[RESULTS] [VOTE] Release Kafka version 2.8.0

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
This vote passes with 6 +1 votes (4 binding) and no 0 or -1
votes.

+1 votes
PMC Members:
* Bill Bejeck
* Randall Hauch
* Colin McCabe
* John Roesler

Community:
* Israel Ekpo
* Satish Duggana

0 votes
* No votes

-1 votes
* No votes

Vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd7888d15a6db647b5c6a96ec1afd6cd47f11237a8f41340ae8af6b15%40%3Cdev.kafka.apache.org%3E

I'll continue with the release process and the release
announcement will follow in the next few days.

Thanks,
John Roesler

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Ran releaseTarGzAll successfully with no failures.
- Ran subset of tests.
- Ran through quickstart on builds generated from the tag.
- Ran a few internal apps targeting topics on a 5 node cluster.

Thanks,
Satish.

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@apache.org>.
Hey, John.

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Israel,

This was intentional because KRaft mode is "early access" and not meant for
production usage. We don't want people to use it accidentally. Important
functionality like reassignment is not implemented yet. The configs will be
documented from 3.0 onwards.

Ismael

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification, Gwen. I was not aware of that. I am new to
the process so I am still learning.

I have completed my checks and I am comfortable with this release candidate.

Voting +1 for this release candidate.

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Gwen,

This is a bit different than the MirrorMaker 2 case. KRaft is "early
access" and we decided not to include the KRaft configs in the default
config docs. They will be there in 3.0.

Ismael

Re: [VOTE] 2.8.0 RC2

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io.INVALID>.