Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Joar Wandborg <jo...@wandborg.se> on 2013/11/14 22:39:38 UTC

Assessment of OFBiz as an NPO accounting application

Hello, I'm working for Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. on their
Non-Profit Accounting Software project[1].

I am currently assessing existing open-source projects[2] for their
fitness as financial software for non-profit organizations according to
the use cases[3] contributed by conservancy, others.

I would greatly appreciate help to assess OFBiz. If you have knowledge
about the capabilites and caveats of OFBiz, please take a look at the
use cases and add your assessment to the OFBiz wiki page[4] in the format:

> ## [[UseCases/<pagename, e.g. GeneratingReports>]] evaluation
>
> - Supports Chart of Accounts
> - Does not support Fund Report
> - [...]

alternatively, reply to me on this email with your assessment. Be sure
to include my email address as Cc: or To:.

Thank you,
Joar

[1]: http://sfconservancy.org/campaign/
[2]: http://npoacct.sfconservancy.org/ExistingProjects/
[3]: http://npoacct.sfconservancy.org/UseCases/
[4]: http://npoacct.sfconservancy.org/ExistingProjects/ApacheOFBiz/

Re: Assessment of OFBiz as an NPO accounting application

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Joar,

Oops, indeed I must have only previewed. I added my changes back, please review.

Jacques

Posted by Joar Wandborg <jo...@wandborg.se>.

Posted by Joar Wandborg <jo...@wandborg.se>.
On 11/18/2013 06:10 PM, Joar Wandborg wrote:
> On 11/15/2013 12:15 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:> Hi community,
>>
>> Who would  be inclined to answer on detailled accouting aspects?
>> Since it's wiki based, there are no needs that only one person takes
> all the burden, we can share.
>> But maybe then it should be reviewed by OFBiz-accounting knowledgeable
> persons.
>
> Dear OFBiz-users, I have added an evaluation template to
> <http://npoacct.sfconservancy.org/ExistingProjects/ApacheOFBiz/#evaluation>.
> The wiki is editable and OpenID-enabled, I would greatly appreciate
> contributions from people with experience in OFBiz accounting to help me
> fill in the FIXME's in that template.
>
> Best,
> Joar

I have not seen any activity from anyone in the wiki so far. I will do
an evaluation based on my knowledge of NPO accounting, seeing how far I
come being entirely unfamiliar with the OFBiz interface. I will send you
a request for comments when I'm done with my evaluation.

- joar

Re: Assessment of OFBiz as an NPO accounting application

Posted by Joar Wandborg <jo...@wandborg.se>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi community,

Who would  be inclined to answer on detailled accouting aspects?
Since it's wiki based, there are no needs that only one person takes all the burden, we can share.
But maybe then it should be reviewed by OFBiz-accounting knowledgeable persons.

Hi Joar,

[...]

HTH

Jacques

Posted by Gavin Mabie <kw...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joar

This short answer to your question is that Ofbiz does not cater for
Non-profit organizations Out-of-the-box.  Its genesis is the trading for
gain organisation with a huge emphasis on eCommerce.  Having said that and
from a framework point of view, Ofbiz has the basics in place to deal with
your required functionalisties.  Lets's have a check-list look at your
requirements to see how Ofbiz measures up:

1. GeneratingReports (Yes - Ofbiz can generate the traditional accouting
reports - BSheet, IStatement, CFlowStatement etc plus like any good
application Ofbiz allows you to create custom reports.)
2.Collaborating (Yes - check out the Project Management and SFA
applications)
3.Fund Accounting (Not out of the box - but if your emphasis is
accounatbility and deliverables that the Requirements App might be able to
cater for this)
4. Double-entry Accounting (Yes)
5. TrackingIncomeType (Yes)
6. TrackingDocumentation (Not like a traditional EDMS - but there are
possibilities)
7. Handling expense reports and reimbursement requests (Yes)
8.  ?Handling contractors and contracts (Yes)
9.  Handling multiple currencies (Yes)
10.  Draft transactions and approval (Yes)
11. Workflow for Non-Profit Accounting (Not OOTB)

12. Chart of Accounts (Yes)

>From a capability point of view - The framework, being highly customizable
and extensible plus the OOTB functionalities can definately handle your
requirements;
>From a caveat point of view - A not for profit implemention is a
specialized rather than a generic requirement and as such will demand some
cutomisation.  It is highly possible but will require some investment in
time and money.

Regards

Gavin