Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Evgeny Potashnik <em...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/03 07:38:53 UTC

Can I authenticate against a Windows domain controller using the svn: protocol?

Hi,

I'm currently running a Subversion server using Apache on a Windows
2003 server and its configured to authenticate against a Windows
domain controller. This works OK, but it's a bit slow and from what
I've read the svn:// protocol is considerably faster than http. Is it
possible to use svn: but still authenticate against Active Directory?
The release notes for SVN 1.5 mention Cyrus SASL with all sorts of
authentication mechanisms and there are some technical details, but I
haven't been able to find an answer to the basic question: can I do
this or not and if so, how?

Thanks,
Evgeny Potashnik

Re: Can I authenticate against a Windows domain controller using the svn: protocol?

Posted by Mike A <ma...@monitor.com>.
I did read the documentation in the SASL distribution, but it was simply not
enough.  What I need (I think) is an example of a conf file that specifies
GSSAPI as the mechanism and includes any other stuff that is needed to get
AD authentication to work.  I spent a few hours trying to get this working
with one of the 1.5.0 RC's, and never got beyond "mechanism not found"
errors.

Mike

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 9:30 PM, Mike A <ma...@monitor.com> wrote:

> I too would like to know how (if it's possible) to configure svnserve running
> on Windows to authenticate against Active Directory.  The documentation you
> referenced is simply not enough for anyone who is not a Kerberos guru.

Did you also read the documentation referenced from the page I
included (ie the documentation in the Cyrus SASL distribution
archive's doc/ directory)?

> If anyone has an example of svn and SASL config files that do AD
> authentication it would be very helpful.

I'm sorry, I can't help you there.

HTH,

Erik.

Re: Can I authenticate against a Windows domain controller using the svn: protocol?

Posted by Mike A <ma...@monitor.com>.

Posted by Evgeny Potashnik <em...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, yes, I'm aware of it, but it does not answer my question. It does
not tell me how to configure authentication against a Windows domain. The
only example it has is for sasldb and refers to SASL docs for the rest, but
I couldn't find anything useful there either. So if it is possible to
configure this I'm looking for a sample configuration file with
explanations, advice on how to troubleshoot errors, that sort of stuff.

Evgeny

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.