Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/10 11:01:33 UTC

[DISCUSS] Review Process

I believe that the review process is not working so well anymore. I'm not
sure if committers/PMC members have just not had time to do reviews or have
not felt comfortable doing them, but for the most part they aren't getting
done and PRs are languishing. Personally, I like our process, but if it
takes 3+ weeks to deal with a PR like this:

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/pull/879/files

where all we did was remove deprecated methods, I don't think we're ever
going to get anything else through. As it stands, I personally chase votes
in the background to get PRs to merge.....and, I don't want to do that
anymore.

I'll remind committers (and those interested in becoming committers) that a
"review" in our context doesn't have to be a full on review of code where
you hold this deep understanding of everything that is going on. That is
awesome when that happens, but it is perfectly fine to review/VOTE in the
following manner (as examples):

+ VOTE +1 - ran docker integration tests and everything passes
+ VOTE +1 - reviewed the code in detail - solid pull request
+ VOTE +1 - agree with the principle of this pull request but don't fully
understand the code
+ VOTE +1 - read through the updated documentation and understand why this
is important, nice

So basically, you can VOTE and just explain your position for why you voted
(or not explain). I would like to keep this process, however, if we can't
raise the VOTEs for whatever reason, then I'd like to suggest a change.

I'd suggest that we go to a slightly looser version of review-then-commit,
where we require the 3  binding +1 VOTEs as we have been doing OR we
require a single binding +1 and 1 week for objection at which point we have
a form of lazy consensus.

Honestly, I'd like to see some discussion on this from committers/PMC
members and not go with the standard form of lazy consensus that we
typically end up with. However, if no one truly has anything to say,
consider the 72 hours started now.

Re: [DISCUSS] Review Process

Posted by Robert Dale <ro...@gmail.com>.
Looks good.

Robert Dale

Re: [DISCUSS] Review Process

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Review Process

Posted by Ted Wilmes <tw...@gmail.com>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Review Process

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> oops - Pieter, i read your post last night then replied this morning
> thinking I remembered everything you wrote - you actually called for
> different email/jira lists as well.....I guess that would be helpful to
> some but not others. For me personally, that would be massively burdensome
> tbh.
>
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 6:46 AM Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for everyone's thoughts - some replies, first to Jason:
>>
>> >   but I agree that nagging is not a great path forward.
>>
>> Robert Dale has already expressed his sadness that my nags are going away
>>
>> >  It'd be great to have these examples added to the maintainer
>> guidelines.
>>
>> i've said as much before in different places but it's not in the dev
>> docs. of course, depending on how this thread ends the dev docs will need
>> some changes in this area all around so we'll see about adding such things.
>>
>> >   If the contribution is a major feature or significant change, the
>> expectation is that the committer realizes this and holds it open for 3
>> votes before committing.
>>
>> So, here's my thinking on "major feature" - if the committer had done
>> things properly the "major feature" would have already had major
>> visibility. There would have been some form of DISCUSS thread ahead of
>> time, plus a JIRA ticket with more information. If it was a "major" third
>> party submission, a committer would not +1 and walk away but suggest to the
>> third-party that we need to bring this to the attention of dev in some way.
>> How about this, perhaps in the DISCUSS/JiRA anyone might call for a "review
>> of 3" (reserving of course for a -1 veto) in which case the "cooling
>> period" wouldn't apply and we'd need the 3 +1s from committers.
>>
>> As for Pieter:
>>
>> >  Perhaps for version 4 the project should be broken up
>>
>> Maybe, though I've come to to really like our giant uber project. Having
>> everything together has so many great benefits and somehow we've managed to
>> keep the whole thing relatively easy to build and deploy. Breaking up the
>> project repositories however would not allow you to really hide from the
>> expansiveness we've grown in to. This dev list would still be the location
>> for all discussion and we'd still likely have a single JIRA instance so I
>> don't see that providing much relief if you're feeling that way
>> unfortunately.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 4:19 PM pieter gmail <pi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I feel like the project has become a bit too big and dispersed. A large
>>> portion of the emails, jira or otherwise are irrelevant to my
>>> interest/time/work.
>>>
>>> Perhaps for version 4, TinkerPop could be broken up into more focused
>>> projects with their own jira/email/process management.
>>>
>>> gremlin-language
>>> gremlin-server
>>> js-driver
>>> python-driver