Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org> on 2011/02/09 19:47:25 UTC

Missing dependency when building stanbol

Hi all,

I have trying to build the current stanbol tree from the top level. I
have manually added the missing owlapi / owl-link and hermit jar as
mentionned in the toplevel README file but I still get the following
error message:

Missing:
----------
1) eu.iksproject:eu.iksproject.kres.shared.dependency.owlapi:jar:0.7

  Then, install it using the command:
      mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=eu.iksproject
-DartifactId=eu.iksproject.kres.shared.dependency.owlapi -Dversion=0.7
-Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file

  Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy the file there:
      mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=eu.iksproject
-DartifactId=eu.iksproject.kres.shared.dependency.owlapi -Dversion=0.7
-Dpackaging=jar -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]

  Path to dependency:
  	1) eu.iksproject:eu.iksproject.kres.ontologies:bundle:0.7
  	2) eu.iksproject:eu.iksproject.kres.shared.dependency.owlapi:jar:0.7

Could someone update the toplevel README to make sure stanbol is
buildable at any time?

--
Olivier

Re: Missing dependency when building stanbol

Posted by Stefane Fermigier <sf...@nuxeo.com>.
On Feb 10, 2011, at 9:20 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi Valentina,
>
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 11:19 PM, valentina presutti
> <va...@cnr.it> wrote:
>> Thanks Fabian, it was clear indeed.
>> What I meant is that if it's a matter of the failing tests maybe it's enough to fix them (and I believe we
>> need to be more careful before committing next times)....
>
> The main problem with the kres build is that it requires running a
> script to install jars in the local Maven repository
> (see https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/kres/README.txt).
> This won't work in a Hudson build (https://hudson.apache.org) which I
> hope to setup soon.

You mean, "Jenkins",  I hope.

>> Licensing shouldn't be an issue at the moment...btw, we're working also for that, but unfortunately it does not
>> depend only on us :(
>
> It is an issue in that it prevents us from releasing kres - until
> that's fixed, as I said I'm +1 on disabling kres temporarily in the
> default build. People working on it can reactivate the kres build
> using a simple mvn -P option.

+ 1.

Getting the build automated should be the priority. I remember complaining about it 6 months ago if not more.

  S.

http://www.nuxeo.com/ - +33 1 40 33 79 87 - http://twitter.com/sfermigier
Join the Nuxeo Group on LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/groups?gid=43314
New Nuxeo release: http://nuxeo.com/dm54
"There's no such thing as can't. You always have a choice."

Re: Missing dependency when building stanbol

Posted by Enrico Daga <en...@gmail.com>.
Dear All,

> I think we should comment the kres reference in the toplevel pom.xml
> in the mean time and re-enable it as soon as Enrico or someone else
> tells me which jars to upload to the nuxeo maven repo and that we have
> tested that the toplevel build is fully functional without any manual
> operation. Also I don't want to upload those 3 jars twice under
> different names, so there might have non trivial changes to do in the
> kres build config (I am not sure what the shared-dependency variant
> stands for).
+1 for this temporary solution.
I think is the best solution now. This decouple the problems, at least.
Then we will move on solving the issues one by one. @Olivier. We will
come back to you and perform any necessary changes on the kres code to
avoid manual install of bundles.
I am not familiar with hudson and I did not perceived the manual
install of libraries as a blocking issue.

Anyway, we will fix this and the other kres-related issues soon, most
of them are already solved in other kres forks (for instance the wrong
dependencies in the pom files have been fixed for integrate kres in
another IKS activity.
Unfortunately the most of the kres code has been written bu
Alessandro, Andrea and Elvio, which only recently are going to become
committers.

Hope this clarifies the situation from our side.

Enrico

--
Enrico Daga

--
http://www.enridaga.net
skype: enri-pan

Re: Missing dependency when building stanbol

Posted by Olivier Grisel <ol...@ensta.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Valentina,

<va...@cnr.it> wrote:
> Thanks Fabian, it was clear indeed.
> What I meant is that if it's a matter of the failing tests maybe it's enough to fix them (and I believe we
> need to be more careful before committing next times)....

The main problem with the kres build is that it requires running a
script to install jars in the local Maven repository
(see https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/stanbol/trunk/kres/README.txt).
This won't work in a Hudson build (https://hudson.apache.org) which I
hope to setup soon.

> Licensing shouldn't be an issue at the moment...btw, we're working also for that, but unfortunately it does not
> depend only on us :(

It is an issue in that it prevents us from releasing kres - until
that's fixed, as I said I'm +1 on disabling kres temporarily in the
default build. People working on it can reactivate the kres build
using a simple mvn -P option.

-Bertrand

Re: Missing dependency when building stanbol

Posted by valentina presutti <va...@cnr.it>.
Thanks Fabian, it was clear indeed.
What I meant is that if it's a matter of the failing tests maybe it's enough to fix them (and I believe we need to be more careful before committing next times).
Licensing shouldn't be an issue at the moment...btw, we're working also for that, but unfortunately it does not depend only on us :(
Val

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

--
Fabian

Re: Missing dependency when building stanbol

Posted by valentina presutti <va...@cnr.it>.
Hi all,

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
+1

--
Fabian

Re: Missing dependency when building stanbol

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

yes I had the same problem. But I don't understand why this happens.

During the build process the artifact
eu.iksproject:eu.iksproject.kres.shared.dependency.owlapi:jar:0.7 is
built but for some reason not installed in the local repository. When
I build KReS from the kres folder, the artifact is built and installed
correctly in the local repo.

My observation is that we have different behavior in the build process
if KReS is built on its own or as part of the overall Stanbol build.
As I said - I could not figure out yet why this happens.

Another question/solution: Should we remove KReS from the build
process until the KReS related issues regarding licensing, failing
tests, and renaming are solved? Personally, I do not know exactly what
to do with KReS in its current state.

Best,
 - Fabian