Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2021/10/14 04:24:13 UTC

Clarifying Norms on Fineract

All -

Apache Fineract operates under the rules established by the Apache
Software Foundation.
https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html
https://community.apache.org/projectIndependence
https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/
see our stuff:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103094318

1. As a community of people, we are not here as our company or
institution, we are independent persons (individuals).

Individuals familiar with or employed by commercial Fineract based
Solution Providers, are very welcome to discuss that solution here,
especially IF it includes ways in which ideas, requirements, and code
can be implemented and contributed back to the community. Apache is
non-commercial.

Similarly, solutions that connect to Fineract are welcome to help
document and improve APIs, test scripts, and the like, to enable good
system boundaries.

2. We abide by norms of good behavior and assume good intent. Positive
discussion usually starts with identifying the contribution you - as
an individual - want to make.

It helps immensely to follow norms of a single topic in a threaded
email conversation.  I.e.Please do not respond to an email w a
different topic.

3. We strive to have all our discussions on this public listserv.
This may strike some as 'old fashioned' but it is there for good
reasons.  If you use outside tools (chats, gitter, slack, etc), those
conversations should be brought back to list, or "they didn't happen".
It's ok to share via tickets as well, but you get more mileage having
a discussion.

4. The dev list is public and we allow all in.
Over time, positive contributions by participants on list, in content
for wiki, in tickets, and in code, earn recognition and merit
consideration for additional responsibilities to and on behalf of the
project.

James Dailey
On behalf of the Fineract PMC

RE: Clarifying Norms on Fineract

Posted by za...@intrasofttechnologies.com.
Thanks James for these clarifications.

I also thought it was time someone clarifies why we have the community lists and bring back the atmosphere we have all had before.

I have been seeing some discussions going on through the dev lists which I honestly don’t find healthy for the community.

Best Regards;

*******

Zayyad A. Said | Chairman & C.E.O

Cell No.: +254 716 615274 | Skype: zsaid2011

Email:  <ma...@intrasofttechnologies.com> zayyad@intrasofttechnologies.com

Schedule Meetings:  <https://calendly.com/zayyadsaid> https://calendly.com/zayyadsaid

Apache Fineract operates under the rules established by the Apache Software Foundation.

 <https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html> https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

 <https://community.apache.org/projectIndependence> https://community.apache.org/projectIndependence

 <https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/> https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/

see our stuff:

 <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103094318> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=103094318

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
Rich thanks for your kindness and realisation.

>>Javier! Let’s start focusing on depth. Collecting the data only to defend
calling “others”, childish, little is a graceless effort.
a. Lists are on multiple topics- Diabetes, 3 questions that can get you
laid tonight, how to burn fat (stop posting baseless content)
b. For "little show"*, *in your reference data, trade shows come up.

This is absurd. Relevance & context are both missing in your citation. See
screenshots.
It is clear that using only two variables (Keyword search, & term
frequency) in a text based analysis is a limiting mechanism to gain
qualified information. This type of reasoning is an example of a cause of
misinformation.

c. Building financial technology is based on observing logical truth
statements.

>> Javier! Let's try to understand context when using an “adjective”. E.g:
“Diversity” is used millions of times over the Internet. Now, the statement
- “*planet earth needs to protect and nurture bio-diversity*”, backed with
research almost always establishes context. This is the most important
norm.

Not a single individual has given you their consent to refer to them
“childish" or "little". The circumstances when you have used such
adjectives is a community discussion over self approvals.
Justifying use of these adjectives for fellow community members can
only cause hurt, further exclusion, reducing diversity in this community.

>> Tying these words to what you think you truly own e.g DNA, microbiome or
neurological and cognitive patterns is perhaps fine. That’s your right. You
can call "Self" anything - childish,or little.
On the other hand, expressions using such adjectives for fellow beings(even
if they may seem to have opposing views) is NOT an acceptable norm. That
simply demonstrates a lack of empathy & openness.

>> There are not enough merits on this planet to be able to qualify for
calling fellow members -“childish” and their effort “little”.
You & 'Me' are just insignificant biological beings with an evolving
conscious experience, and such a vast infinite universe inside and out.

--
Ankit
Managing Partner

Impressum- Muellners® Inc; Copenhagen, Denmark CVR: 41548304;
New Delhi, India CIN: U72900DL2019PTC344870; Foundation EU CVR:41008407

This mail is governed by Muellners®  IT policy.
The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if
the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any
attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents
of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited. All messages sent to and from this e-mail address may be
monitored as permitted by applicable law and regulations to ensure
compliance with our internal policies and to protect our business. E-mails
are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free as they can be
intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed
to have accepted these risks if you communicate with us by e-mail.

Re: Clarifying Norms on Fineract

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Javier Borkenztain <ja...@fiter.io>.
On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 9:08 AM, Muellners ApS < ankit@muellners.org > wrote:

> I will refer to more words - “little” show, “childish”, “acquiesce” used
> for the community members, “Man beyond reproach” “Men of action” “princess
> birdie”.  The last one is funny.

Childish has been used over a thousand times in Apache Lists: https://markmail.org/search/?q=childish

Little Show has been used tens of thousands of times: https://markmail.org/search/?q=little+show

Acquiesce hundreds: https://markmail.org/search/?q=acquiesce

And Princess Birdie, it's only in your imagination, this word was only mentioned by you on
*all the lists* in this thread: https://markmail.org/search/?q=%22princess+birdie%22.

Why this is important? because this shows your way of action, you bombard the list with emails out of context and full of half-truths without knowing how things work around here.

> These are phrases used by select individuals from this community in
> different dehumanising context.
>

> Do we moderate/censor such comments? Is there a way ASF code of conduct
> violation throws such members out of this community.  What is the role of
> Apache Code of Conduct & Diversity statement here?

The fact that you continue to bombarding this list shows that there is no moderation happening here.

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
I will refer to more words - “little” show, “childish”, “acquiesce” used
for the community members, “Man beyond reproach” “Men of action” “princess
birdie”.  The last one is funny. These are phrases used by select

--
Ankit
Managing Partner

Posted by Gerald O'Sullivan <os...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
> [...]

cited. **That's basic internet literacy to cite things. **"yours" and
"ours" is a construct that you have created. It really helps if you
establish such statements with data not perception. Try to bridge
differences instead of creating more.  *

If you need my help, I can talk but see Kevin use data, public facing
records, meaningful information, & context not wrong adjectives. You are
demonstrating lack of understanding, & empathy with *highly* *speculative*
statements. That's just surface analytics. It has brought you to a weak
conclusion that you have to resort to a poor use of human communication of
language. No human has such a right. Read very carefully what is going on.
Not a single time, MF colleagues have named or shamed an individual. The
process and concepts behind human actions are being discussed.

Ankit
Managing Partner
Muellners Inc

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
The Apache Fineract PMC disagrees and disavows the contents of this
message. The PMC believes the email below to be based upon an unfounded and
uninformed set of beliefs. We have no further reply to this matter.

James Dailey on behalf of the PMC

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
Kevin!

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
*Kevin, thanks for emailing me.  I would like to state "we" here always
mean community when I write these emails. *

Ankit, your actions and / or the firm you represent show a consistent and
lengthy pattern where you do not seem to understand how The Apache Software
Foundation works.
*Wherever, you see mis understandings of how ASF works, please highlight,
back with a qualified data, report, or citable information.*

No, We do not make blanket rules for one off problems.
*Very good. At least we are on the same page that there is a problem here.
Would you like to address the problem and investigate more if similar
problems exist, in order to create blanket reforms for the overall process.*

We are a meritocracy and build consensus with those who have earned merit.
*True we are!*

Your and your colleagues and actions are clearly not those of an individual
but an organization with differing goals and objectives from this
foundation which you continue to post about on our forums.
*Clearly, Muellners Foundation & ASF are two independent entities with
their goals and objectives. I can only assure you that I am posting here as
what I am made aware as a human being with no inclination towards either of
these Foundations, though respecting the ASF guidelines for these
communications.*

I am formally stating my objection to your posts and actions.  I am
formally recommending you and your organization for moderation.
*I welcome moderation. Please highlight the data behind your objection on
each of my posts or actions. *

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

Posted by Muellners ApS <an...@muellners.org>.
Hey James,
Thanks for clarifying norms here:

A. 1 & 2 is quite important.
Can I ask you or PMC (as you are the representative of PMC) to dis allow
“for profit” company to be ever mentioned on public facing records such as
Board Reports.

I am also asking here if it would be fair to exclude “non for profit” being
mentioned. At times, the open source communities worldwide work or organise
themselves in such a legal structure.

So, member is an individual, even though affiliated to a company.
But if say a member is an affiliate of say an international foundation such
as Gates Foundation, or of Muellners Foundation, they may be here only to
represent their Foundation’s non for profit cause with this project.
At times non for profit work is promoted & preserved by governments in line
with freedom of speech and assembly such as voluntary organisation, what
this may mean, is a collection of people may come across contributing to
this project.

I have noticed individual contributors adding in the Board report, the name
of their “for profit” company. I want to discontinue this here.

I have a clear understanding that non for profits should be allowed to be
mentioned as ASF also relies on grants, funds and resources from such
organised groups. Since “for profits” generate revenue, they should have a
different means of recording the members’ affiliation with those companies,
not the Board reports or this mailing list.

B. 3 is very very important and sometimes we have failed to bring many
important conversations on this list, causing hurt, exclusion and non
diversity in this community’s direction.

Thanks