Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com> on 2005/06/27 17:52:40 UTC

[users@httpd] converting to SSL

Hi;

I have an existing Apache 1.3.33 installation.  I need to introduce SSL
capability to the server, and so have installed 2.0.54 with mod_ssl on
the same system.  After much tinkering with SSL configuration (I think I
understand it much better now!), I have both servers up and running.

My question:  Assuming careful comaptibility checks on the httpd.conf
files, are there any reasons (security, operational, whatever) that I
cannot or should not point the cgi-bin/htdocs/images aliases at the same
location and let users access the content either way?  I am maintaining
separate logfile locations; I presume that as long as I have the server
instances running as the same User/Group that there won't be permission
issues with any files created via CGI.  I would expect to start
redirecting various portions of the content via Redirect or mod_rewrite
in the 1.3.33 instance until everything is using SSL.

Is this as simple as it appears or are there gotchas lurking in the
works that I am overlooking?

Thanks!

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams                  "There are two things to aim for in life;
 hugh_williams@agilent.com       first, to get what you want; and after that,