Posted to nmaven-dev@incubator.apache.org by Shane Isbell <sh...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/28 19:42:19 UTC

Compiling Against Maven 2.0.8 Rather than 2.1 Snapshot

A couple of days ago, Brett found a build problem where one of the test
stubs (WagonManagerTestStub) wasn't compiling. NMaven is using
maven-2.1-snapshot to build against, as this is needed for VS2005 support,
which uses the latest snapshot MavenEmbedder. And up until now, the snapshot
APIs that we are using have been completely consistent with 2.0.x, so we
could switch between 2.0.x for command line builds (which is the general
user case) and 2.1-snapshot or an internal versioned snapshot, as DevZuz is
doing, for those environments that need Visual Studio support.

It was only a matter of time before the APIs diverged enough to make this a
problem. I've switched the version that NMaven uses to 2.0.8. Once we get an
alpha version of maven 2.1, then we can safely switch to that one. This
means that we don't have to worry about how to handle the divergence APIs
and will make the STABLE tags actually stable, as currently they may break
as the maven snapshots change. On the downside, it means that it will
require tweaking from the user to get VS build working. I know that
DevZuz is using an internal version of the maven-2.1 snapshot, so this
shouldn't be a problem for them. Is anyone else relying on VS support where
this would be a problem?

Shane