Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com> on 2018/08/29 11:51:14 UTC

Hive build from source is failing on ppc64le

Hi Hive-Team,
I have been working to get the hive-jdbc built on the power platform.
However it's failing for me with an error which indicates that a particular
binary is not present at the maven-repository for ppc64le.  I tried
replacing the binary at ~/.m2/repository location, however that didn't help
me.

I am unable to understand what binary it is looking for and is there a way
to manually build it and provide the path to it.
Could someone please help me understand this issue better?

OS - Linux (Ubuntu 18.04)
Architecture - ppc64le

The error log is as below:

   [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
   com.github.os72:protoc-jar-maven-plugin:3.5.1.1:run (default) on project
   hive-standalone-metastore: Error resolving artifact:
   com.google.protobuf:protoc:2.5.0: Failure to find
   com.google.protobuf:protoc:exe:linux-ppcle_64:2.5.0 in
   https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2 was cached in the local repository,
   resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of central
   has elapsed or updates are forced
   [ERROR]
   [ERROR] Try downloading the file manually from the project website.
   [ERROR]
   [ERROR] Then, install it using the command:
   [ERROR]     mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=com.google.protobuf
   -DartifactId=protoc -Dversion=2.5.0 -Dclassifier=linux-ppcle_64
   -Dpackaging=exe -Dfile=/path/to/file
   [ERROR]
   [ERROR] Alternatively, if you host your own repository you can deploy
   the file there:
   [ERROR]     mvn deploy:deploy-file -DgroupId=com.google.protobuf
   -DartifactId=protoc -Dversion=2.5.0 -Dclassifier=linux-ppcle_64
   -Dpackaging=exe -Dfile=/path/to/file -Durl=[url] -DrepositoryId=[id]
   [ERROR]
   [ERROR]
   [ERROR]   com.google.protobuf:protoc:exe:2.5.0

Thanks,
Meghali Dhoble

Re: Hive build from source is failing on ppc64le

Posted by Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Zoltan,
I gave a try to standalone-jdbc jar downloaded and tried building it and
its failing for me with different error.

   [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
   org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run (setup-test-dirs)
   on project hive-jdbc: An Ant BuildException has occured: /data/conf does
   not exist.
   [ERROR] around Ant part ...<copy
   todir="/hive-standalone/target/testconf">... @ 10:50
   in /hive-standalone/target/antrun/build-main.xml
   [ERROR] -> [Help 1]
   org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to
   execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-antrun-plugin:1.7:run
   (setup-test-dirs) on project hive-jdbc: An Ant BuildException has
   occured: /data/conf does not exist.
   around Ant part ...<copy todir="/hive-standalone/target/testconf">... @
   10:50 in /hive-standalone/target/antrun/build-main.xml
       at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute
   (MojoExecutor.java:213)

Thanks,
Meghali

From:	Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>
To:	dev@hive.apache.org, Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com>
Date:	08/29/2018 06:29 PM
Subject:	Re: Hive build from source is failing on ppc64le

Hello,

it seems the metastore is also refering to it..
git grep 2.5.0|grep pom.xml

I would highly recommend to give a try to the standalone-jdbc driver before
trying to build Hive on a not yet supported platform.

cheers,
Zoltan

On 08/29/2018 02:26 PM, Meghali Dhoble wrote:
> Hi Zoltan,
> Thanks for the quick response.
> I did tried for version 3.6.1 and it still looks for version 2.5.0
binary, which is more confusing to me.

> However the download location which maven build is referring to is ,
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/google/protobuf/protoc/3.6.1/
, which doesn't have a ppc64le
> binary, in spite of the protobuf being available for power.
>
> Any idea how can we make the protobuf binary available at this location ?
>
> Thanks,
> Meghali Dhoble
>
> Inactive hide details for Zoltan Haindrich ---08/29/2018 05:36:22
PM---Hello, It seems ppc64le is added in
https://urldefense.pZoltan
 Haindrich ---08/29/2018 05:36:22

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Hello,
>
> It seems ppc64le is added in
https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/pull/4411 to
 protobuf;
https://github.com/protocolbuffers/protobuf/commit/7f92711085374322f416745e00e69b63c4fcbbf2

> I think you should try to use at least 3.6.1...
>
> Good luck building Hive on power...but I'm not sure; I think you should
first try a jdbc-standalone jar...from a different platforms build; because
I think hive's jdbc

http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/hive/hive-jdbc/3.1.0/

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.
Hello,

Posted by Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Zoltan,

From:	Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>
To:	dev@hive.apache.org, Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com>
Date:	08/29/2018 05:36 PM
Subject:	Re: Hive build from source is failing on ppc64le

Posted by Zoltan Haindrich <ki...@rxd.hu>.
Hello,

Posted by Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Gopal,
I have these version changes are already present in the source, as I am
working on the origin/branch-3.1.
This is still not helping me, as its looking for
"com.google.protobuf:protoc:exe:linux-ppcle_64:2.5.0"; which I am unable to
figure out where this configuration is coming from.

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal com.g
ithub.os72:protoc-jar-maven-plugin:3.5.1.1:run (default) on project
hive-standalone-metastore: Error resolving artifact:
com.google.protobuf:protoc:2.5.0: Failure to find
com.google.protobuf:protoc:exe:linux-ppcle_64:2.5.0 in
https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2 was cached in the local repository,
resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of central has
elapsed or updates are forced

Thans,
Meghali

From:	Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>
To:	"dev@hive.apache.org" <de...@hive.apache.org>
Cc:	Meghali Dhoble <dh...@us.ibm.com>
Date:	08/30/2018 01:30 PM
Subject:	Re: Hive build from source is failing on ppc64le

>   I am unable to understand what binary it is looking for and is there a
way
>   to manually build it and provide the path to it.
>   Could someone please help me understand this issue better?

Does that patch help you?

Cheers,
Gopal

Re: Hive build from source is failing on ppc64le

Posted by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org>.