Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Robert Sfeir <ro...@codepuccino.com> on 2004/05/11 16:03:42 UTC

Tutorial - How to connect OJB and Struts

Could someone post that somewhere, check it in, or what ever?

How to connect OJB and Struts.

The easiest way to go about connecting Struts and OJB is to use Strut's
built in PlugIn API.  By doing so, you can write code which will allow
you to connect to Struts and minimize the juggling of the various APIs.

The following are quick steps to getting a connection.

First things first - The BaseOJBConnector class.
The following class gives you methods to initiate and destroy a
PersistenceBroker.  These methods will be called by your framework, in
this case Struts - but can also be used with Spring, to initialize the
parameters OJB requires when making its connection, and getting
PersistenceBroker instances.

BaseOJBConnector.java

/**
  * CODEPUCCINO Development Suite IS COPYRIGHTED (c) 2002 - 2004 BY
CODEPUCCINO.
  * This includes, Tracker, Live, Security, Knowledge, Support,
  * Blog, Forum, Project and any future product(s) created by
CODEPUCCINO under this
  * GPL license.
  *
  * This is FREE SOFTWARE.
  * It is provided under the GNU General Public License (GPL) wherein
"program"
  * shall refer to this digital map. You may use, distribute, or modify
this software
  * only if you agree to all of the terms and conditions of the GPL,
  * and if this licensing statement accompanies the data.
  * Read the full text of the GPL from the following sources:
  *
  * http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt
  *
  * Free Software Foundation, Inc.,
  * 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
  * Boston, MA 02111-1307
  *
  * Informal discussion: See the License for governing terms and
conditions.
  * Informally, this is a "copyleft" item that is free to use however
you wish
  * (including incorporation into commercial products or derivative
works for sale)
  * as long as you pass it on in a way that perpetuates GNU freedom of
usage,
  * which means all derived works also must be made available under the
GPL.
  *
MERCHANTABILITY
  * or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
  *
  * See the GNU General Public License for more details.
  *
  * Contact Information:
  *
  * Robert S. Sfeir
  * codepuccino.com
  * robert@codepuccino.com
  */

package com.codepuccino.utilities;

import org.apache.ojb.broker.PBKey;
import org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBroker;
import org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerException;
import org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerFactory;

import java.io.Serializable;
import java.util.logging.Level;
import java.util.logging.Logger;

/**
  * Base OJB Connector to startup and open OJB Connections.  The
connector opens up a PersistenceBroker connection.  The
  * ODMG connection is no longer supported due to performance issues
with ODMG in OJB.
  * <p/>
  * There are a couple of ways to open the connection, the first is to
use the initConnection() method, the other is to
  * extend this class using which ever framework you're using and
calling the initConnection() method where ever it's
  * appropriate in your code.  As an example with Struts, extending this
class and implementing the Struts PlugIn
  * Interface, you can start the PersistenceBroker on Struts startup by
simply adding the initConnection() to the init()
  * method of the PlugIn impl, and passing it the value of the plugin
parameter.
  * <p/>
  * To destroy a PersistenceBroker connection, call the
destroyConnection() method, which first closes the
  * PersistenceBroker, then cleans up all data in the various methods in
the class.  Use this method also with Struts in
  * the destro() method of the PlugIn Interface so the connection will
properly close on Struts app shutdown or reload.
  *
  * @author <a href='mailto:robert@codepuccino.com'>Robert S. Sfeir</a>
  * @version $Revision: 1.18 $
  * @since 1.0
  */
public class BaseOJBConnector
     implements Serializable
{

   private static PBKey brokerKey = null;
   private static String ojbDBAlias = null;
   protected static final Logger LOGGER = Logger.getLogger(
BaseOJBConnector.class.getName() );

   public BaseOJBConnector()
   {
   }

   /**
    * gets the OjbDBAlias, this is needed in order to know which
database connection you want to open.  Be sure to
    * setOjbDBAlias first, it is private and is called by the openDB().
    *
    * @return OJB DB Alias String
    */
   private static String getOjbDBAlias()
   {
     return ojbDBAlias;
   }

   /**
    * Set the OjbDBAlias to let the openDB() method know what to open.
This is used by initConnection().
    *
    * @param ojbDBAlias
    */
   private static void setOjbDBAlias( final String ojbDBAlias )
   {
     LOGGER.log( Level.INFO, "OJB DB ALIAS set to: " + ojbDBAlias );
     BaseOJBConnector.ojbDBAlias = ojbDBAlias;
   }

   /**
    * Whenever you're persisting or un-persisting an object you will
need to get a PersistenceBroker.  Call this method
    * to get the broker instance.  Be sure not to close the broker after
this call, rather either commit or abort the
    * trasaction to return the connection to the broker pool.
    *
    * @return PersistenceBroker instance
    */
   public static PersistenceBroker getBroker()
   {
     return PersistenceBrokerFactory.createPersistenceBroker(
getBrokerKey() );
   }

   /**
    * Gets the broker key we asked for based on the OJB Alias.  Private
method used by openDB().
    *
    * @return PBKey brokerKey
    */
   private static PBKey getBrokerKey()
   {
     return brokerKey;
   }

   /**
    * Set the PBKey we want to work with and instantiate.  Private
method used by openDB().
    *
    * @param theBrokerKey
    */
   private static void setBrokerKey( final PBKey theBrokerKey )
   {
     brokerKey = theBrokerKey;
   }

   /**
    * Convenience method to open a PersistenceBroker connection.  Call
this method to start things up.
    *
    * @param databaseAliasName
    */
   public final static void initConnection( final String
databaseAliasName )
   {
     LOGGER.log( Level.INFO, "Setting OJB Alias to: " +
databaseAliasName );
     setOjbDBAlias( databaseAliasName );
     if( getOjbDBAlias() == null || getOjbDBAlias().length() == 0 )
     {
       LOGGER.log( Level.SEVERE, "databaseAliasName was empty" );
       throw new PersistenceBrokerException( "OJB Alias Value Cannot be
null!  Please set it properly before proceeding." );
     }
     LOGGER.log( Level.INFO, "Setting Broker Key for Persistence
Broker." );
     setBrokerKey( new PBKey( getOjbDBAlias() ) );
   }

   /**
    * Convenience method to close the PersistenceBroker and clean up
method info on shutdwon.
    */
   public final static void destroyConnection()
   {
     try
     {
       setBrokerKey( null );
       setOjbDBAlias( null );
     }
     catch( Exception e )
     {
       LOGGER.log( Level.SEVERE, e.getMessage() );
     }
   }
}

The second piece to this puzzle involves extending this class with a
Struts specific class, StrutsOJBConnector, which implements the Struts
PlugIn API.
This class will be loaded on startup by Struts, using the information
provided in the struts-config.xml (below), and call the init of the
BaseOJBConnector.  The StrutsOJBConnector will loop through all the
available Struts Plugins, find the StrutsOJBConnector class, and will
look for the value called database.  That value is the value of the OJB
repository.xml's jcd-alias.  That's it!

/**
[...]
  * DevTeam
  * codepuccino.com
  * opensource@codepuccino.com
  */
package com.codepuccino.framework;

import com.codepuccino.utilities.BaseOJBConnector;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet;
import org.apache.struts.action.PlugIn;
import org.apache.struts.config.ModuleConfig;
import org.apache.struts.config.PlugInConfig;

import java.io.Serializable;
import java.util.logging.Level;
import java.util.logging.Logger;

/**
  * Struts OJB Connector exists to load the database connection using
the Struts PlugIn API.  I makes use of the init()
  * and destroy() method to bring up and take down the database.
  *
  * @author Robert S. Sfeir
  * @version $Id: StrutsOJBConnector.java,v 1.8 2004/02/19 03:11:29
sfeir Exp $
  * @since 1.0
  */
public class StrutsOJBConnector
     extends BaseOJBConnector
     implements PlugIn, Serializable
{
   protected static final Logger LOGGER = Logger.getLogger(
BaseOJBConnector.class.getName() );

   /**
    * Processed on context destruction, this includes reload of app.
Calls close() on the DB Interface, and closes the
    * OJB Connection to the DB.
    */
   public final void destroy()
   {
     LOGGER.log( Level.FINE, "Closing database connection." );
     destroyConnection();
     LOGGER.log( Level.INFO, "Database connection closed." );
   }

   /**
    * Processed on startup and Struts Controller Servlet load.  Sets the
DB alias from the plugin parameter called
    * <code>database</code>, sets the value then calls initConnection()
to create the connection to the DB.
    *
    * @param actionServlet
    * @param moduleConfig
    */
   public final void init( final ActionServlet actionServlet, final
ModuleConfig moduleConfig )
   {
     final PlugInConfig[] plugins = moduleConfig.findPlugInConfigs();
     boolean found = false;
     int i = 0;
     while( i < plugins.length && !found )
     {
       if( this.getClass().getName().equals( plugins[i].getClassName() )
)
       {
         found = true;
       }
       else
       {
         i++;
       }
     }
     if( found )
     {
       final String alias = plugins[i].getProperties().get( "database"
).toString();
       initConnection( alias.toString() );
     }
   }

}

The struts-config.xml PlugIn setting:
  <!-- Struts OJB Connector Plugin. -->
   <plug-in className="com.codepuccino.framework.StrutsOJBConnector">
     <set-property property="database" value="yourDBConnectionNameHere"/>
   </plug-in>

The sample repository.xml setting:
<jdbc-connection-descriptor jcd-alias="yourDBConnectionNameHere"
default-connection="false" platform="Hsqldb" jdbc-level="3.0"
driver="org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver" protocol="jdbc" subprotocol="hsqldb"
dbalias="/mesquite-data/mesquite" username="sa" password=""
eager-release="true" batch-mode="false" useAutoCommit="0"
ignoreAutoCommitExceptions="true">
   <connection-pool maxActive="1" maxIdle="2" maxWait="3"
validationQuery="" logAbandoned="true" removeAbandoned="true"
removeAbandonedTimeout="8"/>
   <sequence-manager
className="org.apache.ojb.broker.util.sequence.SequenceManagerHighLowImp
l">
     <attribute attribute-name="grabSize" attribute-value="100"/>
     <attribute attribute-name="autoNaming" attribute-value="true"/>
     <attribute attribute-name="globalSequenceId"
attribute-value="false"/>
     <attribute attribute-name="globalSequenceStart"
attribute-value="10000"/>
   </sequence-manager>
</jdbc-connection-descriptor>

Robert S. Sfeir
Technical Lead
HHS Portal
robert_sfeir@sra.com

Re: Tutorial - How to connect OJB and Struts

Posted by Robert Sfeir <ro...@codepuccino.com>.
Just spoke with Brian, you have my permission to remove the license
info... as long as *I* don't end up getting stuck not being able to use
it in my own code :-)

Robert S. Sfeir
Technical Lead
HHS Portal