Posted to oro-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2002/01/29 17:46:23 UTC

Re: special control characters

In message <3C...@Sun.COM>, Michael Davey - Sun UK Support Engineer
 writes:
>  result = perl.substitute( "s/\\b/\\t/", input);

This should be
  result = perl.substitute( "s/\\b/\t/", input);

The regular expression escapes will be interpreted by Perl5Compiler,
but the substitution is handled by Perl5Substitution.  So escapes
in the substitution should be straight Java, except for \u\U\e\E which
where added by Mark Murphy to handle inline case modification, which
although technically part of Perl string handling, was deemed of
sufficient importance/convenience.

daniel

Re: special control characters

Posted by Michael Davey - Sun UK Support Engineer <mi...@Sun.COM>.
"Daniel F. Savarese" wrote:

[snip]

> This should be
>   result = perl.substitute( "s/\\b/\t/", input);
>
> The regular expression escapes will be interpreted by Perl5Compiler,
> but the substitution is handled by Perl5Substitution.  So escapes
> in the substitution should be straight Java, except for \u\U\e\E which
> where added by Mark Murphy to handle inline case modification, which
> although technically part of Perl string handling, was deemed of
> sufficient importance/convenience.

I am not sure I understand your response.  Let's ignore \a, \b, \e and
\v for now.  How does substitute() parse the input string?

--
Michael