Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Dirk Rudolph <di...@netcentric.biz> on 2018/01/08 15:44:30 UTC

Sling to Solr integration using Sling Content Distribution

Hi devs,

Recently I was evaluating if it is easily possible to integrate Sling into Solr using Sling Content Distributions and made some great progress here:

https://github.com/Buuhuu/sling-content-distribution-solr <https://github.com/Buuhuu/sling-content-distribution-solr>

The repository explains the goal, the why and who also giving instructions on how to use it. To sum it up a bit:

- SCD’s features map perfectly fine to the requirements when integrating into solr
- It enables us to ingest content on business perspective (not technical perspective as with Oak’s internal indexes)
- It’s flexible (thanks for that already :)

Though there are some things that require a bit of attention to make it work out of the box. I opened a couple of issues for that:

SLING-7357
SLING-7358
SLING-7359
SLING-7360
SLING-7364

And made proposals accordingly (not for the last one as I want to discuss that first)

So my general question is:

Is integrating Sling into Solr (or potentially any other kind of system that offers APIs to do so) a valid and envisaged use-case for Sling Content Distribution? And if so would it make sense to implement a module for lets say Solr as example directly in Sling?

If so I would volunteer to propose something for that but I think flexibly integrating Sling as framework for any kind of content driven web applications into Solr as enterprise search application would be a nice feature to offer.

Thanks for any kind of feedback,

/Dirk

Re: Sling to Solr integration using Sling Content Distribution

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
thanks Dirk, I'm going to review the PR in the next days.

Regards,
Tommaso

Posted by Dirk Rudolph <di...@netcentric.biz>.
Hey.

I opened a PR for SLING-7364, the missing piece making SCD compatible with solr out of the box:

https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-distribution-core/pull/6 <https://github.com/apache/sling-org-apache-sling-distribution-core/pull/6>

Beside of that I created an API to create solr documents from resources for serialisation here:

https://github.com/Buuhuu/sling-content-distribution-solr/tree/master/sling-content-distribution-solr-bundle/src/main/java/com/github/buuhuu/sling/distribution/solr/documents <https://github.com/Buuhuu/sling-content-distribution-solr/tree/master/sling-content-distribution-solr-bundle/src/main/java/com/github/buuhuu/sling/distribution/solr/documents>

With a sample implementation using Adobes AEM Sample “we retail” here:

https://github.com/Buuhuu/sling-content-distribution-solr/tree/master/sling-content-distribution-solr-weretail <https://github.com/Buuhuu/sling-content-distribution-solr/tree/master/sling-content-distribution-solr-weretail>

Posted by Dirk Rudolph <di...@netcentric.biz>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Daniel Klco <da...@gmail.com>.