Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Jason S. Clary" <jc...@futurefx.com> on 1997/01/10 00:47:41 UTC

Suggested config extention to SSI

Hey, I figure I should mention this one.. I'm using a very minor addition to
mod_include
that I figure you guys might be interested.. Its designed as a workaround for
one of the formatting differences between netscape and msie.

Basicly, when putting a series of graphical buttons side by side, msie will
put them touching no unless there is an &nbsp;... In netscape, if there are
is a physical line break in the HTML it puts a space between them.. this
got very annoying for me so I added a <!--#config crlf="off"> directive that
does just that, it turns off the returns at the end of the lines...  so you
can
put your button bar on multiple lines without netscape screwing it up..  (I
work
in joe on my linux box telnetted in from my 95 machine so I try to avoid going
too far past the end of the line or else things get messy.. no bottom scroll
bar.. ;)

Anyways, I thought this might be usefull.. I've been using a modified xssi
module
so I'll have to port it to 1.2b4 with its built in xssi stuff before I can
give you the
patch.. not much to it although it does add another global variable the same
was xssi does for its printing and conditional_status.  Its an EXTREAMLY minor
patch, but it is a "feature" so I dunno if you would want to include it in
final 1.2... if
so I'll bang it out in half a second or you can.. doesn't matter.

Its also a nifty feature if you want to irritate the hell out of someone
trying to read
your html source.. ;)  it has an on option as well so I just block it around
whatever HAS to
be on one line, but it could be put around the entire document to really
irritate those
who like to steal stuff from your page.. ;P

Jason Clary