Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Floyd Wu <fl...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/15 03:16:50 UTC

BM25 model for solr 4?

Hi there,
Does anybody can kindly tell me how to setup solr to use BM25?
By the way, are there any experiment or research shows BM25 and classical
VSM model comparison in recall/precision rate?

Thanks in advanced.

Re: BM25 model for solr 4?

Posted by "David Smiley (@MITRE.org)" <DS...@mitre.org>.
See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SchemaXml#Similarity

class="solr.BM25SimilarityFactory"

The factories for these have javadocs that document the parameters:
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/4_0_0/solr-core/org/apache/solr/search/similarities/package-summary.html

I don't know about comparisons between the choices available.  I'd love to
see one.

~ David Smiley

-----
 Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

Re: BM25 model for solr 4?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi Floyd,

I don't think there is a general answer to that question.  You would have
to test it with your corpus/index and your queries.  If you have that and
if you can have 2 indices, one using BM25 and the other using VSM or
anything else you want to compare, you would want to do some A/B testing
and compare various metrics that indicates which search is better.  Have a
look at the picture on
http://blog.sematext.com/2012/01/06/relevance-tuning-and-competitive-advantage-via-search-analytics/to
see what I mean.

Otis