Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by John Yamokoski <ya...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/04 05:00:14 UTC

build problem on mac

Hi,
I am trying to build xerces-c (v.2.8) from its source on OSX. Actually the
compiling went off without a hitch but I hit a snag when I tried make
install:

mkdir -p /usr/local/include/xercesc/validators/schema/identity
cp -fp FieldActivator.hpp FieldValueMap.hpp IC_Field.hpp IC_Key.hpp
IC_KeyRef.hpp IC_Selector.hpp IC_Unique.hpp IdentityConstraint.hpp
IdentityConstraintHandler.hpp ValueStore.hpp ValueStoreCache.hpp
XercesXPath.hpp XPathException.hpp XPathMatcher.hpp XPathMatcherStack.hpp
XPathSymbols.hpp  /usr/local/include/xercesc/validators/schema/identity
make -C /obj install
make: *** /obj: No such file or directory.  Stop.
make: *** [install] Error 2

In my xerces source directory there is an obj directory so I am a little
confused about this error. I did the build exactly as it was outlined on the
build instructions website.

Re: build problem on mac

Posted by John Yamokoski <ya...@gmail.com>.
Boris,

Right before I checked my email I decided to do something similar.
However, as I have now found out, su is not allowed on OSX by default.
So to get around that problem I just did:

sudo bash
export XERCESCROOT ....
make install

Little bit of a pain but now everything is installed correctly! Thanks
for your help.

Re: build problem on mac

Posted by Boris Kolpackov <bo...@codesynthesis.com>.
Hi John,

Re: build problem on mac

Posted by John Yamokoski <ya...@gmail.com>.
Still having problems with this.. but I am closer to understanding
why. Maybe someone can help me out with this. I have noticed now that
when I run "sudo make install" I get the error mentioned previously.
But if I exclude sudo and run "make install" under my permissions,
obviously I will get permission errors but it looks as though its
correctly using the XERCESCROOT variable:

scension:xercesc yamokosk$ sudo make install | grep /obj
make -C /obj install
make: *** /obj: No such file or directory.  Stop.

ascension:xercesc yamokosk$ make install | grep /obj
make -C /Users/yamokosk/src/xerces-c-src_2_8_0/obj install
cp: /usr/local/lib/libxerces-c.28.0.dylib: Permission denied
make[1]: [install] Error 1 (ignored)
ln: libxerces-c.28.dylib: Permission denied
ln: libxerces-c.dylib: Permission denied
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make: *** [install] Error 2

How do I get around this problem?

Re: build problem on mac