Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gareth Coltman <ga...@majorband.co.uk> on 2001/08/02 18:11:36 UTC

Unfriendly urls

I did post on this before, so sorry, but I searched the archive and couldn't find anything....

My problem is regarding trying to make turbine urls more friendly.

I tried to change the servlet zone part of the url in the web.xml descriptor (using Tomcat 3.2 and mod_jk)

/name/servlet/name to something like /home (where any request to this dir would be served by turbine)

but couldn't get it to work. Has anyone managed to make this work? If you have done this with tomcat, could you please post/email
and example.

Also I would like to implement a system where a url like home/MyPage.html would automatically look under the templates directory.
This can be achieved (ie a client can make this type of request) using mod rewrite, but Turbine still pumps out the unfriendly url's
when using the $link tool.

Is my best option to rewrite the link tool to produce my custom urls for templates? I don't mind if I need an obtuse url to run an
action, but if I want to allow people to link to a page on my site I really think having to give such an enormous url is very
unweildy.

Any advice is very much appreciated

Gareth