Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by georg chambert <ge...@telia.com> on 2014/06/06 21:18:15 UTC

[users] Re: getting stuck

Oh one more thing that might be important. The current system is created by
moving the harddrive
from one machine to an identical (however with somewhat different plugged in
Hw), as the first machine
just went out and wouldnt boot at all. So having access to a second
DellDimension5000 I just switched drive.

On the first machine I didnt have really the same frequency of hickup, there
it was much longer periods between downtimes.p

Re: [users] Re: getting stuck

Posted by georg chambert <ge...@telia.com>.
Hi, ok, will check the logs,
however it is doubtful that they will contain any clues of a system that just stops responding.
But there is some sstate (?) or someting in linux I think that can be used to check system calls (? typically)
and if those can be saved over the boot and if there is any way to find the last entries before the halt and reboot.....
And possilby find what activity was initiated, if from Apache, or general system services that made the hickup.

As to backup, yes, there is no very loss-sensitive info on the disk. And yes, if you imply with "interresting,,," that
there could be problems by just moving a disk with configuration between computers, yes, that is relevant.
And yes, the problem might arise from that, however why would it run such long time before stalling. Well there could
 be some "safekeeping" activity that is scheduled with long period, that tries to reach some of the Hw that has become
missconfigured from the possible difference/missmatch in memory/addresses that might come from just plugging
a configured system into another Hw. But still I would like to find cause and find remedy. There is a bit of configuration
work done in setting up the server, which would be nice not having to repeat (lazy ? :)

georgp

  Am 06.06.2014 21:18, schrieb georg chambert:

    Oh one more thing that might be important. The current system is created by moving the harddrive
    from one machine to an identical (however with somewhat different plugged in Hw), as the first machine
    just went out and wouldnt boot at all. So having access to a second DellDimension5000 I just switched drive.

    On the first machine I didnt have really the same frequency of hickup, there it was much longer periods between downtimes.p
  Hi George,

  interesting that the system is running at all... did you make backups of the files there? You should, and on occasion do a fresh install and put the data back in place.

  Meanwhile, you will find the log files at /var/log, using (as root)
  ls /var/log
  and see what is there. You should find /var/log/boot.log showing you the last boot, and you should have /var/log/httpd/ containing some error logs, e.g., /var/log/httpd/error_log.
  You can view the logs using less, e.g.
  less /var/log/httpd/error_log

  Cheers,
  Peter

--

http://function2form.net
http://peter-kuehnlein.net

"It is unseemingly for a person to become prideful and extravagant when things are going well."
(Hagakure)

Re: [users] Re: getting stuck

Posted by Peter Kühnlein <pe...@function2form.net>.