Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com> on 2012/07/11 08:55:47 UTC

[DISCUSS] Git as primary source control for Flume

Hi all,

Apache infra is now allowing projects to choose git as the primary source control, if the project community choose so. I have been using git svn for commits and git to maintain my repo, but recently there have been issues with the git-svn sync (earlier git mirror had substantial delays - but now it looks like it is missing commits).

I would like to know how many of you would be interested in such a move, to host Flume as wip git repo at Apache. Please note that this is not meant to be a comparison of git and svn, this is just a discussion to gauge the community's interest in using git as the primary source control.

Also, please note that I have not communicated this with ASF Infra about this, and I am not exactly sure how the move would work. I will work on that if there is sufficient interest within the community.

Thanks,
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan

Re: [DISCUSS] Git as primary source control for Flume

Posted by Juhani Connolly <ju...@cyberagent.co.jp>.
I use git to work on and just apply changes to a separate svn source
tree when committing. I would prefer git as primary though it isn't a
big deal for me.

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.
Mike,

We could test run gerrit, once our basic git repo is set up. I would also like to try using the pull request mechanism as the author credit will never go away how much ever branch/merge is done. Until anything is finalized, we should use the current setup - then add in Gerrit/pull request mechanism - one issue with pull requests is that it does not give a side-by-side view, of current v/s proposed code, which might be painful for large codebases.

Thanks,
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.
I filed an Infra ticket for the migration: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5065

Thanks,
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Arvind Prabhakar <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leslin <le...@gmail.com>.

--

Best Regards

Leslin

Re: [DISCUSS] Git as primary source control for Flume

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
On Jul 11, 2012, at 5:24 PM, Mike Percy wrote:

> +1! Thanks for proposing this Hari.
>
> Regarding review tools, I know some projects use Gerrit <
> https://code.google.com/p/gerrit/> which integrates well with Git.
>
> I'd like to try out how the GitHub pull request flow works before making it
> required, personally. There is something to be said for the current
> attribution system since both the author and reviewer get credit for the
> work, even after branching and merging, etc.

That is an interesting point of view.

In the other projects I work on that use CTR commits are made and then usually several people review them and only comment when changes are required. In those cases the fixes are usually done under the same Jira issue. What you are implying is that the Flume process actually results in less reviewing going on as it is committed after a single reviewer looks at it and then no one else looks at it. I would hope that there are more sets of eyes looking at changes than that so I don't see why just the one person who reviews the change should get credit. But I also have the feeling that the implication here is also that once something is committed if another person finds a problem that they would then have to create a new Jira issue to get it fixed, even if they find the problem 10 minutes after it is committed.

IMO the person who wrote the code is the one who should get credit.

Ralph

Re: [DISCUSS] Git as primary source control for Flume

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Will McQueen <wi...@cloudera.com>.
+1 for git!

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hari Shreedharan <hs...@cloudera.com>.
It looks like an email will be sent to the dev list in the following format (from the CouchDB list):
GitHub user mrloop opened a pull request: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/25 _session request response no longer cached In IE7 session request response was cached, using the already defined ajax helper function instead of jquery ajax resolves this. You can merge this pull request into a Git repository by running: $ git pull https://github.com/mrloop/couchdb master Alternatively you can review and apply these changes as the patch at:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/25.patch ---- commit 8df02295c40179ad8332bd298dc49d37d76ee685 Author: Ewan McDougall <mr...@mrloop.com> Date: 2012-06-07T04:34:54-07:00 Use ajax helper function for _session GET request to stop request cache in IE7 ----

By using the git pull method we can pull in the branch, and cherry-pick just the commits in the pull request, before pushing it to the apache git repo(this will remove the requirement of  A via B - git will add this though the author/committer metadata anyway), or we can choose the patch method which will be more traditional.

Thanks
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan