Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/27 06:10:25 UTC

strange type error

getting a consistent & to me strange error on one server that is *not* happening
on any other server that this app runs from. kind of at a loss to debug this
further. the error:

TypeError: Error #1034: Type Coercion failed: cannot convert
mx.rpc::Fault@5e00bb4db51 to mx.rpc.events.FaultEvent.
	at
mx.rpc::AsyncResponder/fault()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/AsyncResponder.as:119]
	at
com.esri.ags.tasks::BaseTask/handleError()[C:\checkout\flex_api\api\src\com\esri\ags\tasks\BaseTask.as:795]
	at
com.esri.ags.tasks::BaseTask/handleResultEvent()[C:\checkout\flex_api\api\src\com\esri\ags\tasks\BaseTask.as:731]
	at
mx.rpc::AsyncResponder/result()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/AsyncResponder.as:103]
	at
mx.rpc::AsyncToken/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::applyResult()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/AsyncToken.as:247]
	at
mx.rpc.events::ResultEvent/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::callTokenResponders()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/events/ResultEvent.as:215]
	at
HTTPOperation/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::dispatchRpcEvent()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/http/HTTPService.as:999]
	at
mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::resultHandler()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/AbstractInvoker.as:365]
	at
mx.rpc::Responder/result()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/Responder.as:64]
	at
mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/acknowledge()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/rpc/AsyncRequest.as:92]
	at
DirectHTTPMessageResponder/completeHandler()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/messaging/channels/DirectHTTPChannel.as:459]
	at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()
	at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()
	at flash.net::URLLoader/onComplete()
	at
mx.messaging.messages::AcknowledgeMessage()[/Users/aharui/release4.13.0/frameworks/projects/rpc/src/mx/messaging/messages/AcknowledgeMessage.as:78]

none of the app files are listed in the error statement just the bits from down
in the bowels of the framework. framework versions, etc. match across all the
servers.

any help appreciated.

thanks.

Re: strange type error

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/28/2016 11:21 AM, Alex Harui wrote:

> Not clear whose bug it is.  I don't know this code at all.  If ESRI says
> you have to supply a fault handler then maybe it wasn't clear what the
> input type of the fault handler should be.  It looks like most Fault

docs & examples all use FaultEvent as do their other services. it's on them.

Re: strange type error

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/27/16, 2:10 AM, "Paul Hastings" <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 3/27/2016 12:30 PM, Alex Harui wrote:
>
>> It looks to me that a server request has returned with a successful
>> result, but the esri handler decided there was something wrong and is
>> calling an error handler (handleError), which tries to call the fault()
>> handler on that server request.  The function signature on that fault
>> handler is expecting a FaultEvent when it either should expect an
>> mx.rpc.Fault, or maybe handleError passed an mx.rpc.Fault when it should
>> have passed a FaultEvent.
>
>so likely a bug in the ESRI lib?

Not clear whose bug it is.  I don't know this code at all.  If ESRI says
you have to supply a fault handler then maybe it wasn't clear what the
input type of the fault handler should be.  It looks like most Fault
handlers are supposed to expect a FaultEvent.  Maybe ESRI specifies
differently?  Otherwise, it would be their bug for sending a Fault instead
of a FaultEvent.  Or if it is their code specifying the fault handler and
expecting the wrong type.

HTH,
-Alex

Re: strange type error

Posted by Paul Hastings <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/2016 12:30 PM, Alex Harui wrote:

> It looks to me that a server request has returned with a successful
> result, but the esri handler decided there was something wrong and is
> calling an error handler (handleError), which tries to call the fault()
> handler on that server request.  The function signature on that fault
> handler is expecting a FaultEvent when it either should expect an
> mx.rpc.Fault, or maybe handleError passed an mx.rpc.Fault when it should
> have passed a FaultEvent.

so likely a bug in the ESRI lib? they abandoned flex so i guess this is now a
feature :-( not a show stopper, i guess we can live with it.

> If you can catch this in the debugger, there should be more information in
> the various objects to further help you figure out which request is doing
> this.  I don't know this code at all, but it could be that ESRI is
> checking for licensing or authentication when the request is successful.

bingo. yes it was an out-dated security token. this client has serious network
issues & the bits that grabbed the token hasn't been able to connect to the
authorizing server since late-2015. this functionality only gets used on
occasion so nobody noticed. now to see why no errors were logged.

many thanks again.

Re: strange type error

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.