Posted to user@whirr.apache.org by Joris <gp...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/09 06:40:46 UTC

Running whirr, getting permissions error

"org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException:
org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException: Permission denied:
user=gpoort, access=WRITE, inode="/":hdfs:supergroup:drwxr-xr-x
Method)
        at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAcce
ssorImpl.java:
39)
        at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstru
ctorAccessorImpl.java:
27)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.instantiateException(RemoteException.
java:
95)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException.unwrapRemoteException(RemoteException
.java:
57)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient.mkdirs(DFSClient.java:1004)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.mkdirs(DistributedFileSystem.j ava:
342)
        at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.mkdirs(FileSystem.java:1226)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileOutputCommitter.setupJob(FileOutputCommitter.j ava:
52)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.OutputCommitter.setupJob(OutputCommitter.java:
146)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Task.runJobSetupTask(Task.java:997)
        at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.j ava:
1127)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child.main(Child.java:264)"
This is a similar issue with the permissions that people have
mentioned previously.  Since I'm running whirr, I've been having
issues fixing this with advice from others.
I'm running whirr.cfg
file below:
whirr.service-name=hadoop
whirr.cluster-name=hd4node4
whirr.instance-templates=1 jt+nn,4 dn+tt
whirr.provider=ec2
whirr.location-id=us-east-1
whirr.hardware-id=t1.micro
whirr.identity=<>
whirr.credential=<>
whirr.private-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa
whirr.public-key-file=${sys:user.home}/.ssh/id_rsa.pub
whirr.hadoop-install-runurl=cloudera/cdh/install
whirr.hadoop-configure-runurl=cloudera/cdh/post-configure
hadoop-hdfs.dfs.permissions=false
hadoop-mapreduce.mapreduce.jobtracker.staging.root.dir=/user
Is this last line the correct way to specify open permissions?
I've also tried "sudo -u hdfs hadoop fs -chmod 777 /".  But that
doesnt seem to work either...
Anyone have an idea what my issue may be?
Appreciate the help!
Cheers,
Joris

Re: Running whirr, getting permissions error

Posted by Andrei Savu <sa...@gmail.com>.
What version of Whirr are you using?

You should probably use the latest one and larger instance type (e.g
m1.small). Check the recipes folder in the distribution archive.

-- Andrei Savu / andreisavu.ro