Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/09/23 09:26:56 UTC

what to do with JXR?

Currently in the Maven 1 plugin, we have JXR, which I believe came from
Alexandria a ways back. We are the only ones actively maintaining it,
AFAIK. It is also used in the m2 equivalent and is a copy of the same
sources, which is not a great idea.

I'd like to gather opinions on the following:
[ ] create a Maven subproject (like SCM) to maintain it
[ ] see if commons will take it and put it in the sandbox there
[ ] toss it in favour of something else, please specify _________________
[ ] other, please specify ______________

Thanks,
Brett

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Although there's a concern about the license, which may be GPL.

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:26 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Currently in the Maven 1 plugin, we have JXR, which I believe came from
> Alexandria a ways back. We are the only ones actively maintaining it,
> AFAIK. It is also used in the m2 equivalent and is a copy of the same
> sources, which is not a great idea.
>
> I'd like to gather opinions on the following:
> [ ] create a Maven subproject (like SCM) to maintain it

+1

> [ ] see if commons will take it and put it in the sandbox there
> [ ] toss it in favour of something else, please specify _________________
> [ ] other, please specify ______________

There is also the javasrc package which I believe is now under Gump. It
has an Antlr grammar and I believe it makes a more complete xref so
someone might want to look at that. It came into the Alexandria project
a good time after JXR.

> Thanks,
> Brett

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@codehaus.org>.
On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 17:26 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Currently in the Maven 1 plugin, we have JXR, which I believe came from
> Alexandria a ways back. We are the only ones actively maintaining it,
> AFAIK. It is also used in the m2 equivalent and is a copy of the same
> sources, which is not a great idea.
>
> I'd like to gather opinions on the following:
> [ ] create a Maven subproject (like SCM) to maintain it
> [ ] see if commons will take it and put it in the sandbox there
> [ ] toss it in favour of something else, please specify _________________
> [ ] other, please specify ______________

+1 to make it a Maven subproject, I think it fits in under the Maven
umbrella better than under the Jakarta Commons and I doubt that it would
get as much attention under commons as it would under Maven.

+0 to move it to commons.

Something needs to be done anyway, thanks for your everlasting efforts
Brett.

--
Trygve

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Same thing : commons if possible otherwise maven

Arnaud

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

Re: what to do with JXR?

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

> [X] create a Maven subproject (like SCM) to maintain it
> [ ] see if commons will take it and put it in the sandbox there
> [ ] toss it in favour of something else, please specify _________________
> [ ] other, please specify ______________

Ben Walding once suggested to use the Clover Xref files instead of jxr (
  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPJXR-30 ), but that doesn't give the
same functionality.

- Lukas

Re: what to do with JXR?