Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com> on 2005/12/02 03:57:45 UTC

Problems with AOL's TOS reports

In order to keep our mail flowing to AOL members, I've signed up through
the AOL postmaster service to receive TOS reports. Basically, whenever
someone reports mail from our domains as spam, AOL forwards it to me.
(They delete the addressee from the headers, although not completely so
sometimes.)

Anyhow, when it arrives, SA classifies it as spam. What's the reason for
the SARE_SPEC_CLIENT rules? Would it be a problem for other spam if I
overrode them by whitelisting the sender (scomp@aol.net)?

  pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
  2.2 SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS2  known spammer address
  1.0 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name
  2.2 SARE_SPEC_CLIENT_TOS   high tech impulse spam sign
-0.0 SPF_PASS               SPF: sender matches SPF record
-2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 0 to 1%
                             [score: 0.0000]
  0.2 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
  1.7 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST      RBL: Envelope sender in
                             postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
  1.6 FORGED_MSGID_AOL       Message-ID is forged, (aol.com)
-1.2 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

The headers look like this:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
From: <sc...@aol.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:28:45 EST
Subject: *SPAM* Client TOS Notification
To: <un...@aol.com>

------------=_438F955B.164385DC

------------=_438F955B.164385DC

From: <sc...@aol.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:28:45 EST
Subject: Client TOS Notification
To: <un...@aol.com>

--part1_2b7.128060a.30c0ef3d_boundary

--part1_2b7.128060a.30c0ef3d_boundary

Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:24:21 -0600
From: "CCIM Member Communications"
<CC...@cciminstitute.com>
To: <Undisclosed Recipients>
Subject: [Designees] RERC/CCIM ITQ -- Market Data Equals Power
Sender: designees-bounces@ccim.com

--

   Steve

Re: Problems with AOL's TOS reports

Posted by Doc Schneider <ma...@maddoc.net>.
Charles Sprickman wrote:

>>> Be careful about that. That's what they say. Actually, it seems they
>>> have
>>> their own filters additionally and send you everything they *think* is
>>> spam. I've been getting a lot of TOS reports which weren't spam and
>>> where I
>>> was able to ask the recipient and they said "No, I didn't hit the
>>> button".
>>

>> Yeah, I also get lots of crap that DEFINITELY not spam and that nobody
>> in his/her sane mind would declare as spam. But then nobody
>> in his/her sane mind would use AOL, either.
>

> Yeah, I'm fairly certain after speaking with someone who routinely deals
> directly with AOL's "postmaster" folks that these are all button pushes.
>
> Never underestimate the stupidity of the average computer user.  AOL
> does not help matters by putting the "report as spam" button next to the
> "delete" button in their mail client.
>
> Charles

I deal with aol (I call it AOHELL) a lot through their loopback and
besides them placing the buttons for 'delete' and 'report as spam'
really close if a spam is deleted from their spam folder it is the same
as pushing 'report as spam', also after 4 days if left in the spam
folder it is deleted by their system and reported as spam. (Really not a
good thing[tm] with the holidays travel coming up)

 From talking to several folks who use aol seems if a message lands in
the spam bucket it needs to be highlighted and then 'this is not spam'
needs to be hit.

Of course when my Dad first got on the 'net he signed for you... you
guessed it aol and it only took me an hour to get him a real 'net
connection and all setup... but took him having to cancel the credit
card he used before they stopped billing for it. (He called for like 6
months, at least, wanting his service canceled.) (This all happened a
few years ago like 1997 or so--I've heard they somewhat have a handle on
this but still hear of it happening to people.)

-Doc (Who laughs so hard sometimes at the commercials about aol on TV)

Re: Problems with AOL's TOS reports

Posted by Charles Sprickman <sp...@bway.net>.

Posted by Ralf Hildebrandt <Ra...@charite.de>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Steven Stern wrote on Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:57:45 -0600:

> In order to keep our mail flowing to AOL members, I've signed up through
> the AOL postmaster service to receive TOS reports. Basically, whenever
> someone reports mail from our domains as spam, AOL forwards it to me.

Be careful about that. That's what they say. Actually, it seems they have
their own filters additionally and send you everything they *think* is
spam. I've been getting a lot of TOS reports which weren't spam and where I
was able to ask the recipient and they said "No, I didn't hit the button".

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: Problems with AOL's TOS reports

Posted by Steven Stern <su...@sterndata.com>.
Robert Menschel wrote:
> Hello Steven,
>
> Thursday, December 1, 2005, 6:57:45 PM, you wrote:
>
> SS> In order to keep our mail flowing to AOL members, I've signed up through
> SS> the AOL postmaster service to receive TOS reports. Basically, whenever
> SS> someone reports mail from our domains as spam, AOL forwards it to me.
>
> SS> Anyhow, when it arrives, SA classifies it as spam. What's the reason for
> SS> the SARE_SPEC_CLIENT rules? Would it be a problem for other spam if I
> SS> overrode them by whitelisting the sender (scomp@aol.net)?
>
> The reason is that people on our systems here that have not subscribed
> to this service are receiving spam with exactly these characteristics.
> I believe that some spammer (or ratware) is mimicking the AOL
> service's characteristics in order to get their spam through people's
> whitelists.
>
> When I put these rules together, I wasn't aware of AOL's service and
> its email characteristics, and nobody else in any of the several SARE
> mass-checks had any hits at all, so there was no indication through
> that means that this was a Bad Rule (tm).
>
> 1) If you subscribe to this service, or any domain you process mail
> for does, zero the score on these rules.
>
> 2) As soon as I get back from vacation, I'll zero the scores on those
> rules in the production files, and see if I can figure out how to
> identify the spammer as opposed to the service.
>
> 3) Yes, whitelist scomp@aol.com, but do so through an unforgeable
> means, such as SPF or RCVD.  Do not use a simple whitelist from, since
> that's what the spammer is hoping you will do.
>
> Bob Menschel

Thanks. I'm using the whitelist_from_spf successfully.

Posted by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net>.
Hello Steven,