Posted to dev@climate.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/23 19:10:02 UTC

Re: dev Digest 23 Sep 2015 16:49:12 -0000 Issue 411

Hi Kyo,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 9:49 AM, <de...@climate.apache.org> wrote:

> -1 Do not release the package because there are many important pull
> requests under pending now.
>    I just wonder if there are any reasons to expedite the release.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyo

Thanks for taking the time to VOTE.
I would urge you to rethink your VOTE based upon the following. This VOTE
is based upon releasing the OCW 1.0.0 codebase as of September 3rd, 2015.
The pull requests which you refer to are independent from the 1.0.0 #1
release candidate as posted on 3rd September, 2015. Baring in mind that 20
days a quite a long time and I am not surprised that new code contributions
have arrived during that window.
Unless any of these subsequent issues which are now pending as commits to
the OCW codebase are "Blocking" or "Critical" in nature e.g. a critical bug
which has been introduced which renders the codebase unusable, then I am
very reluctant to see that as valid justification to block the release of a
functioning codebase packaged into the 1.0.0 release as presented by the
1.0.0 RC#1 as posted above.
Does this make sense?
Would you consider changing your VOTE based on the above with us
provisionally agreeing to release OCQ 1.0.1 or 1.1 in a shorter time window?
Would be really nice to meet some consensus here Kyo.
Thanks
Lewis

Re: dev Digest 23 Sep 2015 16:49:12 -0000 Issue 411

Posted by Michael Joyce <jo...@apache.org>.
It's not the PMC's job to force people to participate. That's why we can't
wait forever for people to comment. Look at how many people we have on the
PMC vs how many people we have participating in this vote thread. We would
never get a release out if we did that! As for what version increases mean
I would suggest checking out [1]. Adding new features, fixes, and
improvements != code doesn't work. Incremental progress is important. If we
released once everything worked exactly the way we want this project
wouldn't have even reached the point of being open source yet. Closing
ourselves off into a corner so we can make our code perfect is not terribly
conducive to collaborative development.

There have been big changes that have been made since our last release ~8
months ago. Certainly big enough changes to warrant a major version bump.
Is everything perfect? Nope, of course not. Never will be. Doesn't mean we
haven't hit a milestone that warrants a release.

[1] http://semver.org/

-- Jimmy

Posted by "Lee, Kyo (398L)" <Hu...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Michael Joyce <jo...@apache.org>.