Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/24 11:20:49 UTC

Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

What's up devs?

Following our last discussion with @nslater on twitter, I wanted to say
a quick HI on the mailing-list. This mail is splitted in 2 parts. A long
time really. These days I miss what make me enjoy CouchDB at the
beginning. The energy you could feel on the chan and sometimes IRL. The
time when anyone was aware of who was working on a feature. Which
feature was in progress. Today IRC is more like a support channel where
sometimes ideas emerge but you don't feel they are very supported. There
are private discussion somewhere.  But well they are... private. Same
for tickets. We see tickets but more often no real incentive from each
others (and I am to blame too) to fix them.

Today to be honnest, this lack of energy annoys me a lot. This is quite
more important than the rest. At least for me. I don't have 4 devs on
the projects working with me in my office where I can speak with each
other about possible fixes and such .. Communication inside the project
is  really important. Apache CouchDB is an opensource project
distributed around the world (at least 2 continents).

Anyway I still keep my confidence in the project. I know there have been
lot of codes developped around. Today if we don't count the couchbase
fork (wich is still named couchdb and all...) there are 2 friendly forks I'm
aware of couchdb: bigcouch, refuge.

Bigcouch was announced to be merged in. But since then we don't know as
couchdb devs how it will be. How can we keep couchdb working standalone
and on a cluster. It blocks everything else today for me since I don't
know if I will work on a cluster or still can continue to think I can
use couchdb standalone on one node (and possiblit migrate to the
cluster thing easily). I didn't see anything about in
bigcouch recently as well. . As a CouchDB developper I would like to see
a branch in couchdb so we can hack on all together or just review or
document.

Rcouch my own fork which has the following features:

- OTP compliant (build an erlang release, support hot upgrades), bigcouch
is as well. Today couchdb isn't really erlangish and is based on
autotools
- static build support. Packages for deb, rpm, macosx, arm platforms
- View changes: get changes in an ndex in real time
- Replication using view changes
- couch_randomdoc : pick a random document inside a db or a view
- dnssd : discover couchdb over bonjour in your lan
- upnp : make couchdb easily accessible on the net
- refuge_spatial: fork of geocouch adapted to use latest couch_index.
  (note that a version also exists for bigcouch)
- HTTP api based on ranch and cowboy (using mochicow for the
  transition). more stable and efficient HTTP handlers
- doc read validation (like update validation)
- dropbox features (anyone can upload only readers or admins can read
  doc uploaded)
- some replication fixes.
- no refcount db , using a patch from @davisp similar to the one in
  bigcouch
- ..

And coming this week: view merge & cors.

I would like to merge it in couchdb as well. But I don't know how. And
each time I asked for having a discussion on it it fails because some
were busy or anything (but never came back). Can we put a roadmap for
that and start to put the code online?

Second part about couchapps in next mail.

- benoît

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Bob Dionne
<di...@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
> Hi Benoit,
>
> I can understand your view and to some extent share your concerns.
>
> I took a look at the refuge project and things like couch_core are interesting. I'm impressed how prolific you are.

thanks :)

> I'd definitely love to see simpler internals and a better separation of concerns, especially with respect to couchapps. I've always been enamored of the idea and wonder why the implementation seems to get so mired in the mud, but I'm not a web programmer, I'm sure there's issues I'm missing.

Not sure as well. Actually a more efficient js evaluation would solve
most of the problem we have and open new possibilities...

> My hobby interest in couchdb is primarily as a document store. I'd still like to see a native full text indexer and I'm also interested in a simple triple store whose tuples are doc ids, mainly to enable algorithms over graphs. Not large social graphs such as "who likes who", but rather graphs that are used in description logics and proof theory, of order a million nodes with high connectivity. I toyed with pulling out the essentials into a couch_store (not to be confused with the one from Couchbase) that would give me something like a bitcask API, if that makes sense. For me something like that with the ability to load other gen_servers as needed would be really useful. CouchDB is kind of there now in that regard, but the internals still need a lot of work. Anyway I recognize this is a niche use case, though a native FTI might be of general interest.

That would be awesome indeed. It doesn't need to solve all the
problems imo. I also have a look on bindings like the xapian one:

https://github.com/arcusfelis/xapian-erlang-bindings

unfortunately xapian is under GPL...

> Anyway, sorry to be so vague. I'm definitely +1 on better OTP/rebar use and so forth and happy to help as I can on the internals.

cool :)

> With respect to BigCouch, do you think Fabric is the best way to provide a unified API for both the single instance and clustered cases?

Can be yes :) I think we may need a way to merge couchbeam/fabric so
it can be used for the replication and other remote needs as well. I
am working on such thing. I am trying to understand these days how
rexi usage could also be done on top of http/

> It seems to me a single instance is just the special case of R=W=Q=N=1. I know PaulD, BobN, and others have lots of good ideas here and I think we'll all soon be in the middle of it.

Can be yes. Not sure how it would be optimized or to rebalance to a
new node after . But indeed ....

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.
Hi Benoit,

[...]

With respect to BigCouch, do you think Fabric is the best way to provide a unified API for both the single instance and clustered cases? It seems to me a single instance is just the special case of R=W=Q=N=1. I know PaulD, BobN, and others have lots of good ideas here and I think we'll all soon be in the middle of it.

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Some good stuff in this Benoit.
>
> I think we need to kick some life back into the team as well.
>
> Here are my ideas:
>
> * Set up a weekly team meeting on IRC. Attendance strictly non-compulsory.
> Minutes archived on wiki and sent to list afterwards. Get everyone to speak
> up and report on status, and any items for discussion. This mirrors a
> short-lived, but very useful, "CouchDB heartbeat" that me and Jan were
> doing in private during our darkest hour this year.
>
> * Set up informal teams, or work groups. No team leaders.
> No hierarchy or bureaucracy. Just promote the idea that people should get
> organised around specific areas. Each "team" get's a wiki space. People can
> elect to be in the team. Again, no team leaders. Just groups of people. For
> example, me, Paul, and Bob are the release team at the moment. This team
> has existed for years, but we've not documented it anywhere. Let's do that.
> And ask other people to do the same around areas they give a shit about.
>
> * Kick of product management and marketing activities. I'm talking feature
> lifecycle stuff. Collecting requests and use cases. Maintaining a roadmap.
> Maintaining docs. Setting up a release cadence. Working with PR, bloggers,
> etc, ever time we launch. Open up blog itself to the community. We need to
> blog about non-release stuff. Demonstrate that we're thought leaders.
>
> * Start to recognise 3rd party projects by either merging them in directly
> (BigCouch), creating ASF sub-projects, or learning from them, and blessing
> certain ideas. CouchApps is, apparently controversial. One option might be
> to re-implement CouchApps in core, taking lessons from 3rd party projects,
> but not merging any in directly. The goal being to say that CouchDB core is
> both a clustered database and an app platform. No need to depend on forks
> or external projects. This shit is important enough to the community that
> we're making that functionality core.
>
> Benoit, I know you're going to have some concerns about what exactly I mean
> by some of these points. I would like to say, for now, let's put the
> discussion on hold. And work through these one by one. Or at
> least, separately. I'm trying to devote more hours in the week to CouchDB.
> And I only have time to think about and work on one of these things at a
> time. I am sure other people feel the same. So, let's be aware that there
> are things to sort out here, and different perspectives to unite, and just
> put it on the back burner, and pick one of them for now.
>
> I think the first thing we need to look at is setting up a weekly IRC
> meeting. I will send out a separate email for that now.

@nslater thanks for the answer.

The irc meeting is a good idea imo let start with it. I will address
later the other topics. Would be good to have reactions from others
too :)

- benoît

Posted by Bryan Green <db...@gmail.com>.
Everything involves copious amounts of beer, no?  I will put together a
more detailed post as to what I think we need to do.  The post should not
be construed as orders or anything of the such, just a starting point to
get conversation started.

-bryan

Posted by Bryan Green <db...@gmail.com>.
Noah, shevek if it is not taken.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Done.

--
NS

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

Posted by Bryan Green <db...@gmail.com>.
Actually my user name is Bryan Green

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

--
NS

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

Posted by Bryan Green <db...@gmail.com>.
Noah,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
P.S. Don't let me block you though, if you want to forge ahead, I will help
you out. For deffo!

--
NS

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Okie dokie.

--
NS

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

Posted by Bryan Green <db...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Bryan Green <db...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.

--
NS

Re: Part1: What's up dev? About energy.

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
}On 24 September 2012 11:20, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>   (note that a version also exists for bigcouch)
> - HTTP api based on ranch and cowboy (using mochicow for the
>   transition). more stable and efficient HTTP handlers
> - doc read validation (like update validation)
> - dropbox features (anyone can upload only readers or admins can read
>   doc uploaded)
> - some replication fixes.
> - no refcount db , using a patch from @davisp similar to the one in
>   bigcouch
> - ..
>
> And coming this week: view merge & cors.
>
> I would like to merge it in couchdb as well. But I don't know how. And
> each time I asked for having a discussion on it it fails because some
> were busy or anything (but never came back). Can we put a roadmap for
> that and start to put the code online?
>

> Second part about couchapps in next mail.

I second this. I'd like to be able to look back in a couple of years'
time and say "Wow that's when we pulled it all together", put the C
into OuchDB so to speak :-). I replied to Benoit's build system
thread, did I miss a response from the BigCouch folk? I appreciate its
a huge amount of work to merge & there will be mainly sitting /
waiting on the sidelines for many of us, just let us know where we
could help?

A+
Dave