Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by "Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)" <i....@newcastle.ac.uk> on 2015/09/27 17:51:08 UTC

Zab Failure scenario

Assume we use ZooKeeper 3.4.6 and we have 3-server cluster. Leader (L), follower1 (F1) and follower2 (F2). The scenario is as following:

1.       Leader sends a proposal with Zxid = 10.

2.       F2 crashes before receiving P10. F1 logs, sends an ACK and crashes.
As there is no quorum  supporting L, L moves to LOOKING phase to find a quorum and elects new leader. After sometime F1 wakes up and form a quorum with L.  Both F1 and L (pervious leader) have same state (zxid =10 in their log). Therefore the process which has the large myid will be a leader, assume L (pervious leader) has larger myid, So,

3.       L sends a pending proposal with Zxid =10 to F1.

4.       F1 logs and sends an ACK.

5.       Upon receiving ACK, L commits p10 and sends an ACK.

(1)    Is this true or false?

(2)    Regards,
Ibrahim

Re: Zab Failure scenario

Posted by Alexander Shraer <sh...@gmail.com>.
A reconfiguration is treated similarly to other proposals for recovery
purposes (of course commit is different
in that it changes the configuration). You can see the paper
<https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/atc12/atc12-final74.pdf>
for details on how recovery works in principle, and if you have a specific
question please feel free to ask.

RE: Zab Failure scenario

Posted by "Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)" <i....@newcastle.ac.uk>.
Yes, I am thinking of mixing an in-flight reconfiguration request with the crashing servers example that you gave.... Not about how proposals, acks, commits (i.e.: ZAB proper) work.

Thank you

> Thank you Flavio for explanation. It really makes sense for me.
>
> > I'm not sure why you are assuming 3.4.6,  though. Why is it relevant
> > for
> this question?
>
> I am assuming 3.4.6 because first I use this version, second I do not
> know about dynamic configuration 3.5.0 as it may have different
> solution for mentioned scenario.

I don't think dynamic reconfiguration changes anything about how proposals, acks, commits (i.e.: ZAB proper) work. Unless you are thinking of mixing an in-flight reconfiguration request with the crashing servers example that you gave....

-rgs

Re: Zab Failure scenario

Posted by Raúl Gutiérrez Segalés <rg...@itevenworks.net>.

RE: Zab Failure scenario

Posted by "Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)" <i....@newcastle.ac.uk>.
Thank you Flavio for explanation. It really makes sense for me.

> I'm not sure why you are assuming 3.4.6,  though. Why is it relevant for this question?

I am assuming 3.4.6 because first I use this version, second I do not know about dynamic configuration 3.5.0 as it may have different solution for mentioned scenario.

Ibrahim

In 3, it is not exactly a pending proposal, but if the leader has 10 in its log, then it will make sure 10 is committed by the end of the synchronisation phase and before it becomes established.

I'm not sure why you are assuming 3.4.6,  though. Why is it relevant for this question?

-Flavio

RE: Zab Failure scenario

Posted by "Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)" <i....@newcastle.ac.uk>.
Thank you Flavio, it makes sense.

Ibrahim
Posted by Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <fp...@apache.org>.
Acks aren't logged and neither are commits. A prospective leader commits
the initial state of the epoch using its own state as the proposed initial
state.  In your scenario, txn 10 is part of the initial proposed state.

-Flavio
On 4 Oct 2015 4:28 pm, "Ibrahim El-sanosi (PGR)" <
i.s.el-sanosi@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> Sorry, there is a type error in previous email.
>
> Does zxid = 10 commit because there are  acknowledgments from a quorum of
> pervious epoch, or the prospective leader needs to commit any proposals  in
> transaction logs (regardless of  having quorums of ACKS from pervious epoch
> or not) ? (remember we are taking about proposals that have NOT committed
> yet and located in transaction logs).
>
> Following scenarios apply to above questions:
>
> Assume we have 3-server cluster. Leader (L), follower1 (F1) and follower2
> (F2). The scenario is as follows:
> 1.       Leader sends a proposal with Zxid = 10.
> 2.       F2 crashes before receiving P10. F1 logs, sends an ACK and
> crashes.
>
> Assume L has not received F1' ACK. As there is no quorum  supporting L, L
> moves to Leader election (Fast Leader Election, FLE) to find  a quorum and
> elects new leader. After sometime F2 wakes up and form a quorum with L.  In
> FLE, a process that has the most recent zxid becomes a prospective leader,
> resulting in  L (pervious leader) becomes a prospective leader, because of
> having zxid =10.
>
> What happen then? Does zxid = 10 commit eventually before the end of
> synchronization phase or discard? (remember,  zxid =10 did not get a quorum
> of ACKS  from  pervious epoch)
>
> Regards,
>
> Ibrahim

RE: Zab Failure scenario

Does zxid = 10 commit because there are  acknowledgments from a quorum of pervious epoch, or the prospective leader needs to commit any proposals  in transaction logs (regardless of  having quorums of ACKS from pervious epoch or not) ? (remember we are taking about proposals that have committed yet and located in transaction logs).

Following scenarios apply to above questions:

Assume we have 3-server cluster. Leader (L), follower1 (F1) and follower2 (F2). The scenario is as follows:
1.       Leader sends a proposal with Zxid = 10.
2.       F2 crashes before receiving P10. F1 logs, sends an ACK and crashes.

As there is no quorum  supporting L, L moves to Leader election (Fast Leader Election, FLE) to find  a quorum and elects new leader. After sometime F2 wakes up and form a quorum with L.  In FLE, a process that has the most recent zxid becomes a prospective leader, resulting in  L (pervious leader) becomes a prospective leader, because of zxid =10.

RE: Zab Failure scenario

Re: Zab Failure scenario

Posted by Flavio P JUNQUEIRA <fp...@apache.org>.