Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Serge Puchnin <se...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/29 09:38:34 UTC

sql documentation

Hi !

As I can see, there is some room for documentation improvement.
As a sample of documentation, I've prepared a description of "CREATE INDEX"
statement.

What’s your opinion?
What can be improved?
What should be added?

Thanks a lot!

---
Serge

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Sergey Kozlov <sk...@gridgain.com>.
I would suggest to change second "SQL" topic to following

SQL statement syntax
  - DML
    -  SELECT ...
  - DDL
    - CREATE TABLE
    - DROP TABLE
    - ALTER TABLE
    - CREATE INDEX
  - ANSI 99 compliance

--
Sergey Kozlov
GridGain Systems

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Pavel,

There will be a single SQL related page in Java, .NET and C++ docs that will refer to these new docs. Plus SQL will appear in the header of every readme.io domain.

I’ll take care of this when we will be releasing all 2.3 docs. Here is a ticket to track all the things to be done with SQL:

—
Denis

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@apache.org>.
> that all the SQL related pages will be hidden

Denis, please make sure to update all references to these pages.
It should be obvious from Java/.NET/C++ docs that SQL features are present
and did not disappear from the docs.

Consider scenario:
As a user, I go to apacheignite-net.readme.io and search for SQL and LINQ

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@gridgain.com>.

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Denis,

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Igniters,

I’m glad to share that the new SQL doc is ready for proof read:
https://apacheignite-sql.readme.io/docs

Main sections:
- Overview - SQL capabilities outline and getting started guide.
- SQL Reference - SQL itself with all the commands and operations.
- Architecture - insights on how SQL engine works and some of its features.
- JDBC
- ODBC
- Tools and Analytics - tools to work with Ignite as with SQL database.
-  Java Dev Guide - Java specific features
- .NET Dev Guide - .NET specific features
- C++ Dev Guide - C++ specific features

Note, that all the SQL related pages will be hidden (consider removed) on Java, .NET and C++ readme.io sites in 2.3. All the SQL related capabilities have to be documented on this new specific doc.

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Serge Puchnin <se...@gmail.com>.
Denis,

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Serge,

I like the proposed format. It reminds me the one chosen by MemSQL which is crystal clear:
https://docs.memsql.com/sql-reference/v5.8/sql-reference-overview/

Not 100% sure about “Java Developer Guides” section. Let me contemplate a bit and propose other solutions.

—

Re: sql documentation

Posted by Serge Puchnin <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: sql documentation