Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Claudio Martella <cl...@tis.bz.it> on 2010/01/07 17:21:20 UTC

ontology implementation

Hello list,

I found the ontology package org.apache.nutch.ontology, but i can't find
any documentation describing what it actually does (the javadoc or the
wiki just  describe how to "activate" it). Can anybody give me some
infos? i.e. i'm trying to use an ontology so do some query
re-elaboration/expansion, like also searching for "barack obama" if i
look for "president". I think it should basically do some synonymity
stuff and it looks like it does, from the javadoc.

thanks in advance,

Claudio

--
Claudio Martella
Digital Technologies

TIS innovation park
Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
Tel. +39 0471 068 123
Fax  +39 0471 068 129
claudio.martella@tis.bz.it http://www.tis.bz.it

Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian Legislative Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data in order to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding our services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means and by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with regard to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At any time and without formalities you can write an e-mail to privacy@tis.bz.it in order to object the processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials and also to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section 7 of Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street n. 19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web site www.tis.bz.it.

Re: ontology implementation

Posted by Brian Ulicny <bu...@alum.mit.edu>.
Claudio,

The ontology package allows you to navigate a taxonomy hierarchy in the
search interface, but it is pretty crude (or was when I tried it).  For
example, if you have a node 'wine' in your ontology that expands to
'brunello', 'chianti', 'bordeaux', etc, then if you query 'wine', these
narrower terms will appear and be clickable.  Clicking on them is the
equivalent of searching on the narrower term.  I believe it works in the
opposite direction (from narrower to broader) as well.  Unfortunately,
this only happens at the level of the whole query.  If you had queried
on [Italian wine], I don't believe it would match.  In any case, what it
does out of the box is pretty crude, but the infrastructure is probably
there for doing something more interesting.

Brian Ulicny

--
  Brian Ulicny
  bulicny at alum dot mit dot edu

Re: ontology implementation

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <og...@yahoo.com>.
Claudio,

If you think synonyms will do, perhaps you should look at Solr, which includes support for query-time and/or index-time synonym expansion.

Otis
--
Sematext -- http://sematext.com/ -- Solr - Lucene - Nutch