Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> on 2004/05/01 21:20:51 UTC

Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT][NET] jakarta-commons/net 1.2 Released

With the release of jakarta-commons/net 1.2, I would like to propose that Ant
update its use of commons/net to use this new version in time for the next
version which I see is being discussed.

Doing so should greatly reduce the incidence of complaints about the FTP task
when run against non-unix servers.  1.2 automatically detects the server
type, recognizing, in addition to unix, which was supported in all previous
versions, NT, OS2, VMS and OS400 servers.

This functionality will work out of the box if this version of commons-net is
used.

I will also be preparing a patch that would enable parsers that cannot be
autodetected, including user-developed FTP list parsers, to be plugged into
the ant task.

There is also some verbiage under the FTP task that should be changed to
reflect this.

Re: Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT][NET] jakarta-commons/net 1.2 Released

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 1 May 2004, Steve Cohen <sc...@javactivity.org> wrote:

> This functionality will work out of the box if this version of
> commons-net is used.

Maybe you should also forward the announcement to user@ant if just
switching to commons-net 1.2 will solve a bunch of common problems
people face.

> I will also be preparing a patch that would enable parsers that
> cannot be autodetected, including user-developed FTP list parsers,
> to be plugged into the ant task.

Cool.  +1 to get this into 1.6.2.

> There is also some verbiage under the FTP task that should be
> changed to reflect this.

Patches are welcome.  I wouldn't know exactly which text you'd want to
change and I certainly wouldn't know what to change it to.

Stefan