Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Parrish, Ken" <KP...@gomez.com> on 2008/09/03 13:23:13 UTC

Subversion difference engine

We use the:

svn status

command for generating a project change list after the files in a
project directory have been added, deleted and modified, but not yet
committed.

Is there a way to use difference engine in Subversion for comparing two
working directories, instead of a working directory against the
repository?

Is it possible to generate the output from svn status which is the
difference between any two, arbitrary Subversion URL's and revisions.
For example, in the following directory structure:

svn

MyProject

                        trunk

                        newversionbranch

Can I use the svn status command to compare:  'trunk revision 123 and
newversionbranch revision 456' ??

Thanks for you help.

Ken Parrish

Gomez, Inc.

Re: Subversion difference engine

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 3, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Parrish, Ken wrote:

> We use the:
>
> svn status
>
> command for generating a project change list after the files in a
> project directory have been added, deleted and modified, but not
> yet committed.
>

> Is there a way to use difference engine in Subversion for comparing
> two working directories, instead of a working directory against the
> repository?
>
> Is it possible to generate the output from svn status which is the
> difference between any two, arbitrary Subversion URL’s and
> revisions.  For example, in the following directory structure:
>
> svn
> MyProject
>                         trunk
>                         newversionbranch
>
> Can I use the svn status command to compare:  ‘trunk revision 123
> and newversionbranch revision 456’ ??

I don't think you can do any of that with Subversion's command-line
client. You may be able to build your own program to do it, using the
Subversion language bindings and a programming language of your choice.

Re: Subversion difference engine

Posted by Benjamin Smith-Mannschott <bs...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 3, 2008, at 15:23, Parrish, Ken wrote:

> We use the:
>
> svn status
>
> command for generating a project change list after the files in a
> project directory have been added, deleted and modified, but not yet
> committed.
>

> Is there a way to use difference engine in Subversion for comparing
> two working directories, instead of a working directory against the
> repository?
>
> Is it possible to generate the output from svn status which is the
> difference between any two, arbitrary Subversion URL’s and
> revisions.  For example, in the following directory structure:
>
> svn
> MyProject
>                         trunk
>                         newversionbranch
>
> Can I use the svn status command to compare:  ‘trunk revision 123
> and newversionbranch revision 456’ ??
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> Ken Parrish
> Gomez, Inc.

have you considered:

   svn diff --summarize

Or am I not understanding the question?  What are you trying to
accomplish? Why must it be the status command? Do you not know about
diff?

// ben