Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Philipp Wagner <ph...@web.de> on 2005/03/17 20:01:07 UTC

automatic export?

Hi there,

I'm using Subversion for developing websites. I would like subversion to automatically export the repository to a folder in my www-directory after every commit, so that every developer can test and verify their changes by opening the site by simply typing the url in the browser. Otherwise everybody would have to run a webserver for testing on his computer with the same settings as on our server. Does anybody have an idea?

I thought about a cron-job, but I think it wouldn't be the smartest way, since this would mean an export every 2 minutes or something...

Philipp

Re: automatic export?

Posted by Eric S <ej...@americanlowlife.com>.
Philipp Wagner wrote:

> I'm using Subversion for developing websites. I would like subversion
> to automatically export the repository to a folder in my www-directory
> after every commit, so that every developer can test and verify their
> changes by opening the site by simply typing the url in the browser.
> Otherwise everybody would have to run a webserver for testing on his
> computer with the same settings as on our server. Does anybody have an
> idea?

We have exactly that in place here.  Basically, the post-commit script
takes a look a which files where modified, and re-exports any branch
that got updated into the appropriate directory.

I was lazy and did it by doing an rm -rf directory then exporting,
rather than trying to extract/update/delete individual files as
appropriate, though in hindsight I think I would have been better off
configuring apache to lock out access to .svn directories, then then
just make the directories working directories so all I'd need to do
would be to run an update.  As is, the site (partially) disappears until
the export is done.

Re: automatic export?

Posted by Philipp Wagner <ph...@web.de>.
Thanks! Must have skipped that chapter!