Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/08 09:43:42 UTC

Proposal: apache-wide specs project

Many people have talked on and off about setting up an apache-wide
specs project.  With the recent move to separate our copies of the
specs and build them with maven 2 perhaps this is a good time to try to
get this started.

Here are some steps we could take:

-Identify projects with java spec implementations in them.  They
include at least:
   geronimo
   tomcat
   pluto (have already expressed interest)
   axis
   scout (?)

--Approach the projects to see if they are interested

--Appropriate the M2 groupId org.apache.specs

--Based on the support we get  proposing a new top level project.  This
is going to be an unusual project in that it's expected that changes
will only take place when new specs come out :-)

We could all start using the groupId org.apache.specs even before an
actual project was set up.  This might just cause confusion though.

Thoughts?

many thanks
david jencks

Re: Proposal: apache-wide specs project

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Actually I thought about this for a bit longer and would like to
withdraw my +1 and replace it with a -1.

I think we should setup a sub project inside of geronimo to crete the
j2ee spec implementations, manage the repo as the specs go through
JEE5 revisions, and handle release/patches.  Only once we get the
procedures worked out for our small case, should we propose a top
level project.  My big fear about trying to create a top level
project right now is geronimo-specs is currently not well defined
within geronimo itself, and the whole effort will get dragged out
into policy/legal discussions with lots of people that aren't
involved in writing or using the code (i.e. are dogmatic instead of
pragmatic).

-dain

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Proposal: apache-wide specs project

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 11/8/05, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an interesting idea.
>
> What scope do you envisage? Would it only be JSRs, or would, for
> example, stdcxx in the incubator be able to join?
>
> Do you see any issues with having a single project but specs that
> encompass a variety of technologies that might not overlap?
>
> I think it is fine to start with an org.apache.specs group either way
> as it isn't going to clash with anything.
>
> I think it would be good to discuss this more broadly, but I'm not
> sure of a suitable apache wide list other than community@
>
> - Brett
>
> On 11/8/05, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Many people have talked on and off about setting up an apache-wide
> > specs project.  With the recent move to separate our copies of the
> > specs and build them with maven 2 perhaps this is a good time to try to
> > get this started.
> >
> > Here are some steps we could take:
> >
> > -Identify projects with java spec implementations in them.  They
> > include at least:
> >    geronimo
> >    tomcat
> >    pluto (have already expressed interest)
> >    axis
> >    scout (?)
> >
> > --Approach the projects to see if they are interested
> >
> > --Appropriate the M2 groupId org.apache.specs
> >
> > --Based on the support we get  proposing a new top level project.  This
> > is going to be an unusual project in that it's expected that changes
> > will only take place when new specs come out :-)
> >
> > We could all start using the groupId org.apache.specs even before an
> > actual project was set up.  This might just cause confusion though.

I think these are all very good ideas. I can't see any reason to
exclude any of the items Brett mentioned, but we don't need to wrangle
it all at once. How about just starting it with the Java related specs
that are needed right now and letting it grow organically over time?
I'm sure other poeple and projects will join in.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: Proposal: apache-wide specs project

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Nov 8, 2005, at 6:30 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> This is an interesting idea.
>
> What scope do you envisage? Would it only be JSRs, or would, for
> example, stdcxx in the incubator be able to join?

it should be open for anything

> Do you see any issues with having a single project but specs that
> encompass a variety of technologies that might not overlap?

I don't.

The original motivation when we first concocted this scheme was to
get rid of the multitude of implementations of the same thing, which
sometimes lead to problems due to multiple factories in the classpath.

The one that bit me hard was JAXR, because both Scout and Geronimo
had an implementation of the API, and the API has a factory, and .....

So each spec should be relatively independent, but this project would
provide neutral territory for the projects.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Proposal: apache-wide specs project

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.