Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2006/04/09 11:54:59 UTC

How to assign properties to dependencies

Hi,

In Apache Geronimo, there exists a plugin that processes some
dependencies in a special way. It lists all of them and only those
with a property are passed on to a further processing. It was
available in M1, but neither is in M2. I wonder how many people found
it missing and worked it out. What would be a suggested M2-wise
solution to it?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: How to assign properties to dependencies

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
(I assume you meant to reply to the list?)

On 4/10/06, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> > The assembly plugin should be replacable with the Maven assembly
> > plugin, which was one of them.
>
> I know Prasad who's working on the plugin thinks alike, but what I
> dislike with this approach (and was the reason there's no way to
> script using Jelly in M2) is that you duplicate some content in two
> files - an assembly descriptor and pom.xml, which I hoped I could
> avoid.

What content is duplicated? If its in regards to dependencies - its
only when you need to specifically include or exclude, so its fewer
lines and its not duplicated.

> The use case is simple - only a few dependencies should go to a
> generated file - being an output of the plugin.

I still don't understand what you are trying to do with the file, what
format it is in, why these are required. Anyway, the technique is
probably a filter.

> I wonder what was the reason to introduce the properties in the first
> place, in M1? What made you think they'd be necessary? If I had known
> this, I would likely not have asked the questions ;)

It happened before I joined, but I suspect it was for war.bundle,
which would be because there was no scope to indicate a sensible
separation of runtime dependencies from test and build dependencies.

- Brett

Re: How to assign properties to dependencies

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
This has been asked quite a bit before, including in regards to the
Geronimo build. Which plugin are you referring to?

The assembly plugin should be replacable with the Maven assembly
plugin, which was one of them.

Any other plugins that do this should use sensible defaults based on
scope, and apply a filter to them. The filter can be configured on the
plugin. Note that this is rarely really needed, and I'd take a careful
look at your use case first.

- Brett