Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com> on 2013/02/13 19:24:48 UTC

OFBiz / BigFish eCommerce Latest Updates

All,

The latest release of our OFBiz / BigFish eCommerce platform is available.

For more details please visit http://bigfish.salmonllc.com, the "Demo"
section will provide a good overview of both an eCommerce implementation
and the BigFish Admin Module.

Points of interest for this release:

  * Performance / Scalability:
      o we have continued to fine-tune the number of SQL's made via
        OFBiz services
      o and now completely use OFBiz caching
      o a great example is www.goldmedalhair.com, this has a good amount
        of products and is very efficient
  * More OFBiz features in BF Admin Module
      o the ability to add new customers
      o the ability to add new orders (we use a shopping / cart /
        checkout paradigm)
  * Payments
      o Cash on Delivery
      o Sagepay with tokenization (credit card is not stored in OFBiz,
        the returned unique "token" is stored as the reference)
  * And various fixes and minor enhancements

We continue to be busy with client implementations and so far both of
our more recent clients are looking to upgrade to the latest version
(this includes www.1800fishoil.com and www.eagansemporium.com). New
client implementations will be announced over the coming months -- of
particular interest is a couple of solutions for Indian retailers
(currency in Rupees, different address formats etc.).

On our immediate delivery schedule are two major items, now beyond the
research stage, well into proof-of-concept and will be in full
development very shortly:

  * Extended Sites
      o The ability to have a new Product Store and a completely
        re-purposed "extended site" capability
      o All content can be segregated to a specific store
      o Products can be repurposed, or separated into their own catalog
      o Leveraging a lot of the great work done in OOTB OFBiz
  * Entity Sync (staging -> production)
      o The ability to have a "staging" implementation that
        "synchronizes" to Production whenever is appropriate
      o So, our clients can prepare new content, promotions, home page
        imagery, products, pricing throughout a certain amount of time
      o and then "synchronize" everything into Production at one time

Items that may be of interest on our Road Map:

  * Integration with eBay, Google Shopping and Snapdeal
  * Spell checker, with "did you mean" functionality
  * Auto complete on search box
  * EBS Payment Gateway, for Indian market

Best Regards,

Nick Rosser
nrosser@salmonllc.com
O: 516.742.7888 x221
C: 516.901.1720

Re: OFBiz / BigFish eCommerce Latest Updates

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@salmonllc.com>.
Thanks for the update, the team will be very excited about your news,
and the fact that you've adopted our BigFish platform for your Store.

Please continue to keep us updated, we would be interested in your live
site, when you get there!

Best Regards,

Nick Rosser
nrosser@salmonllc.com
O: 516.742.7888 x221
C: 516.901.1720

Posted by Integrin <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick-

Posted by Duong Nguyen Huu <du...@vietofbiz.com>.
Very nice Rosser,

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
All,

The latest version 1.11 has been available for a couple of weeks.

Check out our dedicated site at http://bigfish.solveda.com.

A quick refresher on what BigFish is:

  * it does not compete with OFBiz in anyway, it's an add-on, focused on
    the business of eCommerce
  * in a nutshell I would describe BigFish as
      o a business extension, focused on providing business users (in
        our case that is our clients) with tools to build a scalable,
        feature-rich eCommerce online presence
      o as well as back-end tooling to allow business users to maintain
        all aspects of the eCommerce site such as content, products and
        configuration options
  * we have carefully tried to completely use the OFBiz data model and
    service layer
      o and have extended the data model only very slightly to
        accommodate specific eCommerce functionality
      o and re-used the service layer almost exclusively
      o so, for example, an Order placed via a BigFish eCommerce "front
        end" can be viewed, modified, fulfilled using all the great
        features of out-of-the-box OFBiz (always the ultimate test for
        us as we expose more back-end features into the BigFish Admin
        Module)

What's new:

  * now available for download via SVN
    (http://bigfish.solveda.com/bfDownload.html)
  * TXT messaging integration using clickatell.com
  * custom attributes for Customer Registration
      o many retailers need specific prompts during registration
      o for attributes such as "shoe size", "birth date", "wedding date"
        or "whatever" so they can personalize subsequent email campaigns
      o we built a "custom party attribute" solution to handle such
        requirements
  * search auto-complete and spell-check
      o go to our demo http://bigfish.solveda.com:8082/online/control/main
      o type "blouse" in the search box, see drop-down of suggestions
      o type "blose" in the search box, click search, spell-check will
        return for "blouse"
  * and for anyone interested in Indian implementations:
      o BlueDart shipping integration
      o EBS payment gateway integration
      o check out www.fashionmyday.com, one of our first Indian clients
        (beta release)
  * and many smaller fixes and enhancements for both eCommerce and the
    Admin Module

Questions and comments always welcome.

Nick