Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lorenzo Jiménez <lj...@nacion.co.cr> on 2005/04/13 18:56:48 UTC

How can I create a digest password

Hi,

I need help to generate encrypted passwords. Using the Tomcat 5's documentation:

C:\>java org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase -a MD5 mypassd

And this is the error message:

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/catalina/realm/RealmBase"

I also checked the classpath, and Catalina.jar is in it.
I even tried being positioned on catalina's directory.

Using Win XP, Tomcat 5.0.28, and j2sdk1.4.2_07.

Thank you very much!

Lorenzo

Si usted no es el destinatario indicado en este mensaje o responsable como persona
de la entrega del mensaje, no debe copiar o reenviar este mensaje, por favor notifique
al correo infosegura@nacion.com. Para más referencia sobre términos importantes
relacionados a este correo visite http://www.nacion.com/disclaimer/index_es2.htm

If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the
message to such person), you may not copy or send this message to anyone, please notify
to infosegura@nacion.com. Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.
<http://www.nacion.com/disclaimer/index_en2.htm>

SV: How can I create a digest password

Posted by Martin Lidgard <ma...@arkatay.com>.
I created the following bash-script in Linux:

#===============================================================
echo -e "Enter password to encode: "
read password
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -classpath $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/catalina.jar
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase -a SHA $password
#===============================================================

In windows, the following works:

> java  -classpath D:\project\tdk-2.3_01\server\lib\catalina.jar
org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase -a SHA mypassword

/Martin

RE: How can I create a digest password

Posted by J Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com>.
The problem you are hiting is due to the location of the jar file in the
default tomcat install.  You can move the jar file into the lib\common area.

Frankly, I think it's much cleaner to just copy the code to create pw's into
one of your own classes.  It's only a few lines of code.  Just find the
realmbase class in the Tomcat source and clone the method.

Jerry