Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Cloud List <cl...@sg.or.id> on 2016/06/03 03:56:20 UTC

Older Ceph packages for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) to recompile libvirt with RBD support

Dear all,

I am trying to setup older version of CloudStack 4.2.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 to
use Ceph RBD as primary storage for our upgrade testing purposes. Two of
the steps involved were to add below repository to manually compile libvirt
to have RBD support, since the default libvirt on Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have
RBD support by default, unlike on Ubuntu 14.04:

====
# wget -q -O- '
https://ceph.com/git/?p=ceph.git;a=blob_plain;f=keys/release.asc' | sudo
apt-key add -
OK

# echo deb http://eu.ceph.com/debian-cuttlefish/ $(lsb_release -sc) main |
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ceph.list
deb http://eu.ceph.com/debian-cuttlefish/ precise main
====

But when I ran sudo apt-get update, I am receiving this error (excerpts):

====
Err http://eu.ceph.com precise/main amd64 Packages
  404  Not Found
Err http://eu.ceph.com precise/main i386 Packages
  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch
http://eu.ceph.com/debian-cuttlefish/dists/precise/main/binary-amd64/Packages
404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch
http://eu.ceph.com/debian-cuttlefish/dists/precise/main/binary-i386/Packages
404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.
====

It seems that the repository for the particular required packages has been
removed, anyone can advise if I can get the required packages, may be from
a different location?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Cheers.

-ip-

Re: Older Ceph packages for Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) to recompile libvirt with RBD support

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.
I think you will have to compile Ceph from source or use Ceph Dumpling.

Cuttlefish is no longer supported.

Wido

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Cloud List <cl...@sg.or.id>.
Hi,

Anyone can assist on this?

Posted by Cloud List <cl...@sg.or.id>.
Hi Wido,

Thanks for your reply.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl> wrote:

> > Op 3 juni 2016 om 5:56 schreef Cloud List <cl...@sg.or.id>:
> >

> > Dear all,
> >
> > I am trying to setup older version of CloudStack 4.2.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 to
> > use Ceph RBD as primary storage for our upgrade testing purposes. Two of
> > the steps involved were to add below repository to manually compile
> libvirt
> > to have RBD support, since the default libvirt on Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't
> have
> > RBD support by default, unlike on Ubuntu 14.04:
> >

> Why do you still want to use such old versions of software?
>
> I recommend that you use at least Ubuntu 14.04 and Ceph version Hammer
> (0.94).

The reason is because we are setting up a test / staging environment to
replicate the existing CloudStack 4.2.0 production setup that we have, so
that we can test upgrading from CloudStack 4.2.0 to 4.8.0 on the test
environment, before performing the same upgrade on the production
environment.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Cloud List <cl...@sg.or.id>.
Hi,