Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com> on 2013/06/11 07:35:47 UTC

Object_Store storage refactor GoToMeeting Tomorrow

Hi there,

To reach consensus on some remaining NFS cache issues on object_store storage refactor work in a more effective manner, John, Edison and I have scheduled a GoToMeeting tomorrow to discuss them over the phone, any interested parties are welcome to join and brainstorm. Here are detailed GTM information:

Meeting Time: 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM PST

Meeting Details:

1.  Please join my meeting.
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/join/188620897

2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.  Or, call in using your telephone.

United States: +1 (626) 521-0017
United States (toll-free): 1 877 309 2070

Access Code: 188-620-897

Meeting ID: 188-620-897

GoToMeeting®
Online Meetings Made Easy®

Not at your computer? Click the link to join this meeting from your iPhone®, iPad® or Android® device via the GoToMeeting app.

Thanks
-min

Re: Object_Store storage refactor Meeting Notes

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
David and Chip,

There was no intention to side step to the list.  I will be more careful in my phrasing in the future.

I apologize for the lack of clarity,
-John

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 01:13:37AM +0000, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> [Animesh>] I was not sure if we have an open slot in Collab for design session on storage discussed above but now that Joe mentioned the HackDay being an open collaborative day in other email it's probably best to have that discussion as one of the session on HACK day.

Great idea!

RE: Object_Store storage refactor Meeting Notes

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Animesh Chaturvedi <an...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Sudha Ponnaganti <su...@citrix.com>.
Sure John!

I am referring to the point that even for one time merge, let us go through the planned QA cycle.

Thanks
/sudha

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Sudha,

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.
One comment regarding upgrade path: due to internal DB schema change
documented in our FS:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Backup+Objec
t+Store+Plugin+Framework, we do need to handle upgrade cases in 4.2, which
are mainly related to data migration in DB level. I am working on that
right now, will check in a version to object_branch today.

Thanks
-min

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Nitin,

> [...]

>> dependencies and the reservation mechanism, we determined that NFS
>> storage would still need to be the size of the secondary storage data
>> set.  Since the hypervisor layer has not been completely fitted to the
>> new storage layer, NFS would be still required for a number of
>> operations.  Based on this realization, we decided to de-scope the
>> staging mechanism, and leave the 4.2 object store functionality the same
>> as 4.1.  Therefore, NFS will remain the secondary storage of record, and
>> object storage will serve as backup/multi-zone sync.
>
> I am not sure how we can comment its going to be the same as 4.1 - is it
> from the end user perspective ? The internal semantics and their flow have
> changed. This needs to be elaborated and properly documented. Also I am
> not sure if the feature is supported on the upgrade path or is it ? Need

From an end user perspective, object stores will remain a backup of secondary storage.  The user interface will likely be a bit nicer, but in terms of system architecture, the roles of object storage and NFS remain the same in 4.2 and 4.1.  To my mind, when we support object stores as native secondary storage targets, it will be a new feature, and we should continue to support the backup model as well.  Therefore, I don't see an upgrade path issue.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
All,

Re: Object_Store storage refactor GoToMeeting Tomorrow

Posted by Min Chen <mi...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
Hi Min,