Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vince Stewart <st...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/30 04:01:43 UTC

secureRandom... using [SHA1PRNG] ..took (up to) 20 minutes

I started recently using my my java app with embedded Tomcat / 8.0.28 on a
debian VPS (DigitalOcean).

Unfortunately, it can take up to 20 minutes to launch into action from the
time you start execution. The issue relates to "Creation of SecureRandom
instance ... using SHA1PRNG".  Slowness has been described and explained in
Stackoverflow.

My tomcat has otherwise been so reliable that I have had no motivation to
keep it upgraded.  Can anyone advise if some change will apply if I upgrade
to the latest version 8.

Otherwise, is there a configuration change I could employ.

Many thanks,

--
Sent from: http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/Tomcat-User-f1968778.html

Re: [OT] secureRandom... using [SHA1PRNG] ..took (up to) 20 minutes

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: secureRandom... using [SHA1PRNG] ..took (up to) 20 minutes

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Markus,

On 12/30/19 05:27, info@flyingfischer.ch wrote:
> apt-get install haveged update-rc.d haveged defaults
>
> Increases entropy pool and there for reduces start up time for
> Tomcat.

I would argue that haveged reduces your security because it makes
/dev/random (a supposedly-secure source of entropy) behave like
/dev/urandom which is supposed to be sufficiently-random yet not
secure for things like generating keys.

You should use the right tool for the right job: use /dev/random for
keys (and let it take 20 minute if necessary) and /dev/urandom for
other uses.

- -chris

> Am 30.12.19 um 11:22 schrieb Rainer Jung:
>> It depends a bit on the major Java version you are using, but
>> have a look at this page:
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TOMCAT/HowTo+FasterStartU
p#HowToFasterStartUp-EntropySource

Regards,

Posted by "info@flyingfischer.ch" <in...@flyingfischer.ch>.
apt-get install haveged
update-rc.d haveged defaults

Increases entropy pool and there for reduces start up time for Tomcat.

Markus

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.