Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Gert Brinkmann <g1...@netcologne.de> on 2009/02/04 16:27:13 UTC

Highlighting on Prefix-Search Bug/Workaround (Re: query with stemming, prefix and fuzzy?)

Mark Miller wrote:

>> Currently I think about dropping the stemming and only use
>> prefix-search. But as highlighting does not work with a prefix "house*"
>> this is a problem for me. The hint to use "house?*" instead does not
>> work here.
>>
> Thats because wildcard queries are also not highlightable now. I
> actually have somewhat of a solution to this that I'll work on soon
> (I've gotten the ground work for it in or ready to be in Lucene). No
> guarantee on when or if it will be accepted in solr though.

As I am writing in perl (using WebService::Solr) I found the workaround
to use the Search::Tools module for highlighting "manually" in those
cases if Solr does not return snippets. This seems to work fine, but the
drawback is, that I need Solr to return the full data field in a query.
This can be expensive on larger documents. But I hope this is just a
temporal workaround until Solr 1.4...

Thanks,
Gert