Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/02/19 16:38:59 UTC

[HttpComponents] web site

Folks,

I started putting together a web site for Jakarta HttpComponents and
porting the project object model from Maven 1 to Maven 2.

I also found the new APT (Almost Plain Text) format slightly easier for
writing documentation than xdoc.

http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-apt-format.html

I will be using APT for now unless someone complains. If someone feels
very strongly against APT or in favor of a different format, please make
your opinion known now.

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.
> The attachment apparently got stripped. Do not be shy and just commit
> the changes.

Patch committed.

Mike

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2006-02-25 at 22:16 -0500, Michael Becke wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> I think this is a great start.  Attached are a few changes I made to
> the goals-scope doc.  Other than these wording mods I have a few
> comments:

Mike,

The attachment apparently got stripped. Do not be shy and just commit
the changes.

>   - I think we should add a section/module for HttpClient.  Even if we
> don't have an actual HttpClient based upon HttpComponents it would be
> good to keep the name there for context and to indicate future
> direction.

Agreed.

>   - The goals and scope page is good summary of what's wrong with
> HttpClient, but it doesn't really feel like goals and scope.  I
> suggest we should have a section on goals that talks about what's
> wrong with HttpClient (already have that), and then details more about
> how we're going to fix the problems in HttpComponents (we have some of
> that).  As far as scope goes I'm not sure we need much.  They key
> points are covered in our charter I think (i.e. HttpClient, tools, not
> competition for Tomcat).

Agreed. As soon as I pick up your changes I'll do some more work on the
goals page

Cheers,

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Oleg,

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.
> My suggestion would be to keep the original page be, but do not provide
> a direct link to it from the front page. It would only be referenced by
> the Project Goals page and would at some point be completely removed
> when we no longer have to explain why we chose to rewrite HttpClient

Sounds good.  I have checked in this change.

Mike

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2006-02-26 at 22:28 -0500, Michael Becke wrote:
> I have checked in a first try at reworking the goals and scope page.
> Please let me know what you think and feel free to make any changes.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

good start indeed. Some minor suggestions:

[Description -> Standards Compliance]
I would rephrase the sentence as "HttpComponents strives to conform to...".
Never promise more than you can deliver :-)

In the menu for both modules, can you add a link to the main page
for HttpComponents? There is one to the right of the status line
(which doesn't work in the preview), but that is not where I would
normally look for it. Our current page also has a "Home" link that
takes you to the commons main page as the top item in the menu.

[HttpAsync -> Description -> Overview]
The HttpAsync component provides an asynchronous interface for
client side HTTP communication, which seperates the sending of a
request from the receiving of the response. This simplifies
development of multithreaded HTTP applications and allows for
new features such as pipelining.

I agree with Mike that we should have a dummy module for HttpClient.
I also think we should have dummies for the other planned modules, in
particular HttpCookie and HttpAuth. It will help people to understand
which features are *not* to be expected in HttpCore.

Regarding goals and scopes, I divert from Mike's suggestion. Instead
of having a section that talks about HttpClient deficiencies and then
adds details on how we want to address them, I would prefer to
state goals and then add details about the HttpClient deficiencies
from which these goals are derived. Simply reversing the headlines
of the current page would already help:

[Componentized Design]
[Cleanly structured API]
[Minimal external dependencies]

instead of

[Monolithic design of Commons HttpClient]
[Inherent API deficiencies]
[External dependencies]

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Folks,

I also want to start migrating the following resources off Wiki to SVN.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/HttpComponentsSiteMockup
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/HttpComponentsProjectRoadmap

I have not gotten a lot of feedback for them, but since no one
complained either, I assume the content is more or less okay.

At some point someone will have to proof-read my Ruslish, though

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Michael Becke <mb...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 4)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:57 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> I am missing a "Download" link :-)

As soon as there's something to download. Let's cut a release first

Oleg

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
I am missing a "Download" link :-)

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just updated and redeployed the preview of the HttpComponents web
> site.
>
> Changelog:
> * Link to the project Wiki per Roland's request
> * HttpCore module now includes javadoc, source cross-reference and
> clover (test coverage) reports
>
> The preview can be found at the usual location
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
>
> Please let me know if you think something major is still missing.
> Otherwise, provided I hear no complaints I would like to go ahead and
> deploy the site to the official Jakarta repository
>
> Oleg

[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/
[pgp]  key 0x81CF3416

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 6)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 01:03 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 21:13 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > > On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > A little gremlin seems to have attacked the Cookies page:
> > >
> > > Netscate
> > >

> > Fixed
> >

> The gremlin seems to have come back ...

It's been really fixed in SVN. I just did not regenerate the site prior
to deploying to the remote repository

> > > Generally it looks very good, and seems to be easy to navigate.
> > >
> > > Just noticed something a bit strange - the HttpCore and HttpAsynch
> > > module pages have a left navigation bar with a "Home" link, but the
> > > other modules don't. Not sure whether this is intentional or not.
> > >

> > This is because only HttpCore and HttpAsync are full-fledged Maven
> > sub-projects with a corresponding pom.xml. All others are merely
> > placeholders. They will get populated as we go along.
>
> OK
>
> > > The naming of the modules makes their purpose fairly clear, but it
> > > might still be useful to have a brief summary of each on the front
> > > page.
> > >

> > Done
>
> Looks good.
>
> Just thought - people might want to know if HttpURLConnection is supported.
> Might be worth saying whether that is planned or not.

I personally do not intend to work on a HttpURLConnection implementation
based on HttpCore. There are way more important things that require a
lot of work: unfinished Cookie2 spec, HttpNIO, Commons HttpClient 3.1.

If someone came forward and contributed this code I believe we would
happily accept it, though

Oleg

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 7)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:26 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> I think references to HttpClient 3 should be linked to the current website.

There's a reference to Commons HttpClient on the front page now. Please
check it out:

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 09:26 +0100, Ortwin Glück wrote:
> I think references to HttpClient 3 should be linked to the current website.

Will do

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 6)

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 21:13 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> A little gremlin seems to have attacked the Cookies page:
>
> Netscate

Fixed

> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> >

> Generally it looks very good, and seems to be easy to navigate.
>
> Just noticed something a bit strange - the HttpCore and HttpAsynch
> module pages have a left navigation bar with a "Home" link, but the
> other modules don't. Not sure whether this is intentional or not.

This is because only HttpCore and HttpAsync are full-fledged Maven
sub-projects with a corresponding pom.xml. All others are merely
placeholders. They will get populated as we go along.

> The naming of the modules makes their purpose fairly clear, but it
> might still be useful to have a brief summary of each on the front
> page.

Done

> It would be nice if the Wiki link indicated that it was an "external" link.

Done

> Sorry if these seem picky ... feel free to ignore!
>
> S.

Please review

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 5)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:10 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > I just updated and redeployed the preview of the HttpComponents web
> > > site.
> > >
> > > Changelog:
> > > * Link to the project Wiki per Roland's request
> > > * HttpCore module now includes javadoc, source cross-reference and
> > > clover (test coverage) reports
> > >
> > > The preview can be found at the usual location
> > > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> > >
> > > Please let me know if you think something major is still missing.
> >

> Many thanks, Sebastian
>
> > Not major, but:
> >
> > How about linking the Netscape Cookie spec to the front page?
> >

> Done.
>

> > ==
> >
> > A few minor layout issues:
> >
> > There's an unexpected change of font size on the pages:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/charter.html
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/goals.html
> >
> > It looks like the style for bullet points has a larger font size than
> > the main text.
> >

> Fixed

Looks much better now.

> > The link at the bottom of the page:
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/http-core/issue-tracking.html
> >
> > works, but I'm not sure it helps to have it displayed in full...
> >

> I cant help it. This is the way Maven end up generating the page.

Yuk!

I guess/hope that will be fixed by Maven one day...

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> Few very very minor cosmetic issues:
> Most Jakarta projects' web site headers have both the Jakarta Logo and
> the Project logo. But the HttpComponents website just has the Jakarta
> Logo.

Don't dispair. The designer is working on the logo. I hope to post it
for review next week.

Odi

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 5)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 00:56 +0530, Bindul Bhowmik wrote:
> Hello Oleg,

Hello, Bindul

> Few very very minor cosmetic issues:
> Most Jakarta projects' web site headers have both the Jakarta Logo and
> the Project logo. But the HttpComponents website just has the Jakarta
> Logo.

We simply do not have a logo yet.

> In the main navigation bar, 'Project charter' and 'Project goals'
> might look better as 'Project Charter' and 'Project Goals' keeping in
> line with 'Project Info' (capitalized first character of second word).

Done.

> In the Project Charter page, in the fourth bullet of the Project scope
> '(formerly Jakarta Commons HttpClient )' has a space before the
> closing brace. This causes the closing brace to appear in the next
> line in some displays (It does in mine - Firefox, screen resolution
> 1024x768)

Fixed.

> In the Project Charter page, under 'Targeted specifications and
> standards', 'http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/norobots-rfc.html' might look
> good hyperlinked.

This is a verbatim copy of the project charter as approved by the
Jakarta PMC, so I think we should keep it in sync with the original

> I understand that the different 'modules' are maven projects
> themselves. But do we want to keep separate 'Project Info' pages for
> each of them? Right now each of the 'Project Info' pages (Issue
> Tracking, Mail List, etc.) are actually different pages for each
> module and also the HttpComponent.

Some of them do make sense on a per module basis: dependencies, issue
tracking, source repository. Some certainly do not, project team for
instance, but Maven appears really bent on adding them nonetheless

> Related, although 'Project Reports' makes sense when they appear
> separately for each module. As a user, I might want to see some
> consolidated reports such as javadocs, etc.

Consolidated javadoc is definitely a good idea. As soon as we have
another module in ALPHA quality (besides HttpCore), I will try to come
up with something like that

> The archives links for the mailing lists points to the mbox archives
> on Apache servers, which might be the official archives. But, would it
> make sense if we pointed the archives links to mail-archive.com or
> marc.theaimsgroup.com or some such else?

I added both mail-archive.com and marc.theaimsgroup.com to the project's
pom.xml as additional archives, but this had no effect on the HTML
content generated by Maven. No idea why.

> The Wiki still says HttpClient Wiki. Are we planning to rename it or
> use a new page as the HttpComponents FrontPage?

Lots of things need renaming: project name in Bugzilla, mailing lists,
wiki. We'll tackle it as go along.

> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> >
> > Oleg
>
> I was working on checking some site's user friendliness in my day job,
> so these might have stuck on me. I am still looking at the site and
> will post anything else I find.

Any extra cycles spent on HttpComponents will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Bindul Bhowmik <bi...@gmail.com>.
Hello Oleg,

Was lurking on the list for sometime. Should congratulate you on the
great work with the site.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 17:10 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I just updated and redeployed the preview of the HttpComponents web
> > site.
> >
> > Changelog:
> > * Link to the project Wiki per Roland's request
> > * HttpCore module now includes javadoc, source cross-reference and
> > clover (test coverage) reports
> >
> > The preview can be found at the usual location
> > http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
> >
> > Please let me know if you think something major is still missing.

Many thanks, Sebastian

> Not major, but:
>
> How about linking the Netscape Cookie spec to the front page?

Done.

> ==
>
> A few minor layout issues:
>
> There's an unexpected change of font size on the pages:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/charter.html
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/goals.html
>
> It looks like the style for bullet points has a larger font size than
> the main text.

Fixed

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/06, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just updated and redeployed the preview of the HttpComponents web
> site.
>
> Changelog:
> * Link to the project Wiki per Roland's request
> * HttpCore module now includes javadoc, source cross-reference and
> clover (test coverage) reports
>
> The preview can be found at the usual location
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
>
> Please let me know if you think something major is still missing.

Not major, but:

How about linking the Netscape Cookie spec to the front page?

Also, why not provide all the cookies links on the Cookies page?

==

Re: [HttpComponents] web site

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
I'll get the logo thing started with Regula.

Odi

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 3)

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> I seriously doubt browsers can resolve relative links,

They have to, that's specified by HTML:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#h-6.4
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.1.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#resolving-relative-uris

I've been using relative links in local HTML pages for quite a while.
They work as expected, whether I access the pages via file:/// from
Windows, via file:/// from Linux, or via an HTTP server.

> I rephrased this section a little, please let me know if you like it
> better

Yepp, better. I am still wondering whether the complaints about the
libraries, in particular commons-logging, came from people who had
a lot of other libraries to integrate, or rather from people who had
few other libraries and didn't like to have to learn how to integrate
anything at all. I would have expected that a lot of dependencies
gives them integration practice, so that another library or two don't
matter much.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 3)

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi all,

shouldn't we link the httpclient wiki from the HttpComponents web page?
Or will there be a different wiki? Or maybe I just missed the link.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 3)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 22:32 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,

Hi Roland

> > What is the web server supposed to do with the following request
> >
> > GET .. HTTP/1.1
>
> What browser would send this kind of request? All browsers will
> resolve relative links before sending the request. And if an
> HttpClient application would send such a request, we'd tell the
> developer to resolve the link in the application :-)

So be it. I seriously doubt browsers can resolve relative links, but if
they transform the request URI into something like
http://whatever/project/module/.. that should basically do the trick

> I like the new web site. Just a few typos I noticed:
>
> Project Charter
> - Rationale: a number _of_ limitations
> - Project Scope: additional_ly_ charged
>
> Project Goals
> - Componentized design: "affecting" instead of "effecting"
>
> News
> - "preoject"
>
> HttpCore Examples
> - "dempnstrates" x2

Fixed. Good catch.

> I'm not happy with the last sentence of "Minimal external dependencies"
> in the project goals. It sounds as if they only cause trouble without
> providing any benefit in terms of functionality. Maybe replace "only"
> with "significantly"?
> I'll probably start a design discussion on logging this weekend. But
> not now, it's getting late tonight :-)

I rephrased this section a little, please let me know if you like it
better

The updated preview of the site can be found here

http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/

Please do not be shy and add stuff if you think something is missing

Oleg

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 2)

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> What is the web server supposed to do with the following request
>
> GET .. HTTP/1.1
>
> ?

As Roland has pointed out already, such a request will never be sent to
a server. Relative links in websites are absolutely normal.

>>I mean if you build the site locally then you expect it to work, right?
>>

> Not if one uses Maven ;-) All sub-modules are deployed in their
> respective home directories under 'target/site', which renders all
> cross-module links nonfunctional until the whole thing is deployed to
> its target repository. If you know how to fix that, I'll be happy to
> learn
>
> Oleg

Okay, that's a pitty. But well... Unfortunately I have not had (not
taken) the time to look into Maven 2 at all. Also I have never used
multiproject features in Maven 1. I fear I am of little help here.

Odi

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 2)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ortwin Glück <od...@odi.ch>.
only a quick one:

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have updated the HttpComponents web site to include the changes
> suggested by Mike and Roland
>
> The site can be found here
>
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/httpcomponents/
>
> Please review the content and feel free to suggest further changes and
> submit patches
>
> Mike, Odi, if you have some stuff to add or want to make some changes to
> the documents that are already there do not be shy and just commit away
>
> Oleg

[web]  http://www.odi.ch/
[blog] http://www.odi.ch/weblog/
[pgp]  key 0x81CF3416

Re: [HttpComponents] web site (update 2)