Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Carol Gray <cg...@calmail.berkeley.edu> on 2004/10/13 22:02:54 UTC

methods of installing cocoon, shared jar files?

Hello,
I have only been using Cocoon since last April, with an initial
installation and guidance from someone with much more experience than I
have. Now I would like to expand my use of Cocoon and add additional web
applications.

I have looked at some of the pages on the Wiki regarding organization of
the Cocoon installation and some of the options, such as having sub-sitemaps.

Alternatively, I would like to have multiple instances of Cocoon running
and have shared jar files so that these separate instances are not too
memory intensive. (That is, separate main sitemaps, not separate
sub-sitemaps for each application.) Earlier on the mailing list I noticed
that some people seem to use this structure for their applications, that is
having the cocoon files in the web application's sub-directory.

Currently I have a web application deployed as an exploded war file in the
deploy directory of jboss.
The path is:
/jboss-3.3.5/server/default/deploy/my-web-app.war
This folder holds all my specific application files (xml, xsp, xsl files),
and also has the folder WEB-INF.
WEB-INF contains my sitemap.xmap, cocoon.xconf, etc.
WEB-INF  also contains a classes folder, with properties files,
package.jdo, repository.dtd and repository.xml. Here also are the class
folders: org/apache/cocoon/acting, components, ojb, ojb, samples, and woody
folders.
WEB-INF also has the folders db, deli, entities, lib, logs
WEB-INF/lib seems to be the critical folder, with
avalon-framework-4.1.4.jar, castor-0.9.5-xml.jar, cocoon 2.1.4.jar, etc.

Is there a way to take this WEB-INF/lib folder and have the large jar files
shared by multiple instances of cocoon? And, where should this folder be
located? I'm guessing that I also have to specify the path to these jar
files in a configuration file in each web application. In each cocoon.xconf?

Under Tomcat, I thought I had seen something about a common/endorsed folder
for sharing files. But my applications will be running under JBoss,
currently using the version of Tomcat 5 that is used by JBoss 3.2.5.

Thanks for any suggestions, assistance, or pointers. I hope the explanation
of my directory structure isn't too confusing.
Carol