Posted to dev@iotdb.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2020/04/29 07:50:43 UTC

Introducing "Logical" Tables / Hypertables in IoTDB

Hi folks,

in several recent discussions we came to a point where one would have a need to have more fine grained control over measurement configuration than we currently allow.
E.g. user / access rights only on a subset of a timeseries (e.g. for a month). Second example would be changing measurement type at some point.

Both could be modelled easily if we leave everything as is and add another layer on top for a „logical“ series which is composed of multiple (real) measurements.
TimescaleDB uses such a feature they call hypertables for junking (https://severalnines.com/sites/default/files/blog/node_5556/image1.png).

What do you think of this idea?
Or do you see other approaches for that functionality?

Julian